Tuesday, October 08, 2024

Boondocking at Hartman Rocks Recreation Area

I displaced today from the dispersed camping area southwest of Montrose Tuesday morning. I wanted to try and get across the bridge that is under repair at the Blue Mesa reservoir.

I got to the construction zone just in time to only have to wait 1 minute before it was the eastbound traffic's turn to cross the damaged bridge!

I cruised past the Curecanti National Recreation Area, noting how few campers there were at the two or three campgrounds located by the water.

As I approached the city of Gunnison, I mistakenly took the back way via county road 32 into the Hartman Rocks Recreation Area. Some of the reviews on iOverlander had made a big deal of the steep hill at the front entrance to the recreation area so I thought I would try the back door. (after reading reviews on iOverlander)

The back door route is even steeper and narrower and rockier and gets one into the recreation area furthest away from all the camping spots. So, I recommend you just take the main (eastern) entrance because the hill in question is no big deal.

I did find myself a good spot, away from the other campsites.

                       

I rested a bit in the afternoon but then went out riding on Yagi to check out the nearby rock formations.

On one of the routes, I found some past prime time Fall Colors:








A couple of brief rainstorms hurried me back to the campsite but then after dinner I went out again for the golden hour shots:



I am glad I displaced today, it will give me a few days here at Hartman Rocks. Initial impressions are very favorable, I like this area!

2 comments:

Oz said...

You were fortunate getting to the bridge construction at the perfect time! Two summers ago my friends and I waited at least 45 minutes!

redlegsrides said...

Oz, it probably helped that it was a light traffic day seemingly.