Sunday, October 13, 2024

A Paradigm Shift?

Friday, October 11

After breakfast, I geared up and went to fire up Yagi my Yamaha TW200 for a ride to check out the last of the Fall Colors along Marshall Pass Road.

Alas, it was not to be.  She fired up and ran for perhaps a second then died.  I tried for a bit to crank it but the engine wouldn't catch.  Subsequent troubleshooting revealed no spark getting to the spark plug.

Based on recent events that led eventually to the stator wiring having been found damaged and then replaced, I tried replacing each component along the way.  CDI Module, Rectifier and Coil.  No Spark.

Even took the cover off the stator and verified no damage to wiring visible.  

So, using the Green Chile Z-Drag system and a nearby tree, I was able to drag/push the dead TW200's 300 lbs of dead weight onto the cargo rack in from of the VRRV.  Pretty sure I couldn't have done it by muscle power alone!  I was very fortunate to have the motorcycle die on me just feet from the RV, not alone and miles from nowhere down some rough trail.

The title of the post is "A Paradigm Shift".  Basically, I'm thinking the days of solo riding down mountain trails are over and this is my official sign from the motorcycling gods.  The fact that recently my Inreach satellite beacon locator had failed might have been an omen.

I'll take Yagi home, maybe work to repair it, maybe take it to a shop for diagnosis.  Either way, there's major trust issues now with her; akin to the ones that I experienced a lot with all of my Ural Sidecar Rigs!  That's saying something about a Japanese motorcycle!

Part of the paradigm shift also argues that perhaps the motorcycle (either the repaired TW or the Ural) need not be included in the next camping trips.  After all, the likelihood of Martha coming along also means there will be a towed car for transportation while camping.

Anyways, these are things I'm pondering along with future camping vehicles that may not include Uma, the VRRV.  That's for future postings though as I'm still debating options and discussing plans with Martha.

Saturday, October 12

Lacking a motorcycle, it was actually quite a nice and relaxing day at camp.  

Seen while taking a walk:


Enjoyed a morning and evening campfire, read a lot, researched e-bikes (doubtful) and just enjoyed not going anywhere or doing much of anything. 

The sunset was pretty good too:



Sunday, October 13

I couldn't help myself, I decided to do some more in-depth troubleshooting on Yagi.  I compared ohm readings to the service manual and between two CDI modules, two rectifiers, and two stators.

The CDI modules' readings seem to be identical, so I think they're okay. The same with the rectifiers. I have with me two other coils besides the one installed on the bike, two were out of spec in terms of resistance so I put the one that was in spec on the bike.(It was the original one).

I did find a lack of resistance on the stator connections that lead directly to the unit installed. The one I had for comparison, AKA the old one, registered a 0.862 ohm reading!

I've written the seller on eBay asking for a replacement since it has been less than a year since I bought this stator.  We'll see if they stand behind their product or not.

Did I mention that I have major trust issues with this motorcycle now? 

On the plus side, the weather remains gorgeous in the afternoon.  A bit chilly in the morning but not bad yet.


I believe I'll head home tomorrow morning, the weather is cooling here ...



8 comments:

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

I very much can appreciate your concern, the possible change to your pair a dime and can relate to your frustration. Your remote riding is a factor that really isn't something I have to factor in but unreliability is just that. Good luck with the trouble shooting AND with whatever your camp-riding may become.

My TW had led me to believe that it was back in shape and the other day it definitely was not when I attempted my commute to work. Pushing it into the corner was very easy but it deserves some more time and effort to solve whatever is wrong. Please keep us posted on what you find.

An autumn "hello" to both you and Martha. Coop

redlegsrides said...

Hello back to you and yours Coop! Thanks for the comments and feedback, I had not realized you were having troubles with your TW as well.

CCjon said...

Was that an elk I heard in the firepit video?

As we all age, the old spit and vigor of youth fades into caution while foreseeing our own mortality. We know what's coming, but no need to hasten its arrival.

Always thought the TW was a smart choice for your type of riding, Still is. Maybe a newer model TW? Or a Honda Trail 125 with a side-basket, three wheels for stability, lightweight, easy to gear down for torque, sips gas, what's not to like. Unless you plan to get one of those $200,000 4x4 camper vans?

Thanks for the fading aspen leaves photo..

redlegsrides said...

Thanks and you're welcome CCjon.... My type of riding requires reliability that the TW is no longer providing, at least to my satisfaction and peace of mind. You're right about what you mentioned in your comments, and we'll see what the future brings but definitely not one of those hideously expensive 4x4 campers!

redlegsrides said...

added last night's sunset pic

redlegsrides said...

Not an Elk CCjon, cow most likely, the place has a herd of black cows grazing all around....

Philip and Sharon said...

I have been following your blog for years and I have always been concerned about your long forays far from "civilization" and outside help. Some of these places far out in the desert environment I feared you might die if you were stranded. Solutions that might make you feel comforatable venturing once again are: Get a new, reliable bike; Ride only with another rider; Have a satellite phone for emergency communication --- a new I phone might also serve a similar purpose, but I don't know how well they work. Good luck, be safe, but don't give up your adventureing.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks for the comments and feedback Philip and Sharon. The recent failure of the in-reach satellite locator beacon has contributed to this planned or suspected course change. I am trying to actually thin the herd of bikes rather than add a newer and perhaps more reliable bike so I don't think that's an option. As to riding with somebody else, hard to do in terms of scheduling. I think perhaps the time has come to avoid riding in situations where help is not readily available. It will be what it will be, we shall see what the future brings after more pondering and determination of real requirements versus wishful thinking on my part.