Sunday, January 28, 2024

Tilting Solar Panels with RichardM

Saturday, January 27

I rode Yagi, my Yamaha TW200, less than half a mile to the ruins of St Dominic's Church. It was built on the old site of the town of Old D'Hanis.







After I returned to the co-op, RichardM and I spent about 5 hours working on installing brackets on the first of two of his four RVs solar panels; so that they can be manually angled up to catch the sunlight.

We only got the one done as we were going slowly and carefully to make sure things would work the first time. There was lots of fun going up and down the RV's ladder to get tools and bits. I went on one of the two trips today to the Tractor Supply store in the nearby town of Hondo for hardware.

You can buy a Jeep for cheap at Tractor Supply!

That evening, RichardM had paid for my cheeseburger dinner at the co-op's clubhouse where they were also hosting a Sock Hop dance. Both Richard and I left after eating, but Bridget remained to dance to '50s music.

I got a supply of Reflectix insulation from Richard and used it all up crafting double layered insulation panels for all the VRRV windows. I am hoping two layers will provide better insulations in terms of heat retention. Single layers of the stuff are grateful reflecting the sun's heat but don't do any kind of heat retention.

Sunday, January 28

Today we finished installing the second solar panel atop RichardM's RV.  The second one, unsurprisingly, went much faster/smoother than the first panel.  Only minor issues encountered I'm happy to report and RichardM is seeing very promising results from the two tilted panels.

We will set up tilt brackets for the remaining two solar panels as soon as the parts this coming week.

7 comments:

RichardM said...

Projects are always easier when there is someone to bounce ideas off of. Thank you!

redlegsrides said...

Any time!

CCjon said...

I remember seeing D'Hanis bricks being used for houses in Houston. Is there a brickyard there?

When done there, now that you are becoming an expert on those panel systems, I've got a solar panel charging system on the sidecamper that needs some sorting... hint, hint,


redlegsrides said...

I'll ask, CCjon.... As to being an expert in solar panels I am probably going to disappoint you as RichardM is really the guru. But perhaps we can invoke him once I am at your location.

redlegsrides said...

Looks like the company still exists CCjon, but only a marker remains at the original location: https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=193799

Oz said...

Old churches, missions... are fun to visit. I really enjoyed the photos. Glad you guys could fix the solar panels.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Oz, though we were just making the solar panels tiltable for better angles on the Sun... The panels themselves were okay.