Thursday, January 25, 2024

Now Dry Camping at Lone Star Corral SKP Co-Op

I left the campsite in thick fog conditions, driving along US Hwy 90 East to the East Diablo campground's dump station where I took on water after dumping tanks.

From there it was foggy driving conditions (I even had my four-way flashers on) all the way to Del Rio, TX and its Walmart where I picked up a replacement tripod.  (Yep, managed to lose yet another one).  

A quick stop at an AutoZone got me a new air filter for the VRRV and I got rid of the old engine oil from back when I changed it near Carlsbad Caverns NP, NM.

The fog finally burned off east of Del Rio and I was able to make good time to the small settlement of D'Hanis, TX where I turned off to reach the Lone Star Corral SKP Co-Op RV Park.  SKP is for Escapees, members lease a lot on a long term basis.

Richard and Bridget M. are such owners and I'll be visiting with them for the next few days.  I was able to get a spot in the Co-Op's "boondocking" area.  Basically, dry camping on a gravel lot next to their perimeter fence line.  Lot-Docking I guess.

Pretty good deal, RichardM is my sponsor, and I only pay $5/day.

I got to their place shortly before Noon, ahead of schedule, but no problems getting me registered and settled.

I visited with Richard and Bridget for a bit, they showed me their lot and shed, nice setup.

Before dinner, I returned to the VRRV and changed out the air filter on Uma:

Yikes

Before you say it, I had changed the air filter back on 29June23, about 6000 miles ago.  I'm hoping this will help a bit with the MPG results going forward.

I'll be exploring the area via Yagi, my TW200.  Some exploring with the Machidas of course via their Jeep I think.  We'll see.


3 comments:

Oz said...

$5/day!!! That’s awesome! Have fun exploring.

CCjon said...

Hope the three of you have fun exploring the area. Are you near Lost Maples State Park? Or Enchanted Rock?

redlegsrides said...

Will do, Oz!

CCjon, am closer to Lost Maples than to Enchanted Rock, both doable destinations for a day trip I think!