Friday, March 18, 2022

Some of Ajo's more eye-catching architectural features

 Thursday, March 17

Hope you had a happy Saint Patrick's Day!

I spent the day mostly at the campsite, reading and relaxing.  It was quite warm, in in low 80s but there was a breeze throughout the day which kept things cool.

I did some light riding with Yagi, my Yamaha TW200, but just to get what I thought would be a better shot of North Ajo Peak.

Not too close to the peak this time...

A bit further away.

I did some meandering near the above area, and found a concrete pad of all things, in the middle of a dispersed camping area.  Strange.  Perhaps the remnants of some project by BLM?


Spring continues to near and the Ocotillo Cacti in the area are flowering, somewhat.

Friday, March 18

I rode into Ajo this morning to get some groceries, gas for the spare gas containers ($4.99/gallon) and an unfruitful search for rubber seal spray for slide outs on RVs.

As part of the running about with Scarlett, my 2014 Ural Patrol (it was her turn for some exercise), I also got pictures of some architectural features I'd seen before and which had caught my eye.

This used to be the Curley School in Ajo, now changed to "Artisan Apartments".



Nearby is the Ajo Federated and the Catholic Churches, which I've taken pics of before.

The Catholic Church's dome's lines are pleasing to my eye.



Some rooftop features of the Federated Church:



Across the street, is the Ajo Commercial Plaza, anchored by what used to be the Tucson, Cornelia and Gila Bend Railroad Company station.  Now, it's a visitor center where I gathered some info for later posts.

The plaza is surrounded by arches, behind which are located shops and businesses.

I've always liked the look of arches or geometrical symmetry of objects:




The railroad station's side by the old railroad tracks, which are no longer in service.


Arches that face the plaza:



The front side of the ex-railroad station, from the grass covered main plaza.


Not an architectural feature but definitely "nice lines":


Done with pictures of architectural features at this point, I headed to the Shell Gas Station for one more mural picture.  An amusing one, especially the sign under the Vulture.


Got the spare gas containers filled up for the exorbitant price of $33.83.  Yikes.  I'm not looking forward to filling up the VRRV next time.





2 comments:

CCjon said...

Did not realize that Ajo is quite an interesting place.

What was the Curley School? Just a name or a particular type of school?

Sunrise or sunset shots of the architectural features in Ajo could be very captivating if you don't mind riding in the dark to get there.

Thanks for showing us more of Ajo.


redlegsrides said...

Ajo gets more interesting every time I go through there CCjon. Michael Curley was a Manager of the Ajo Copper Mine, major figure in its development. Built in 1919 for the children of the mine workers. Heck, it seems the whole town was built to accommodate and support the mine workers.