Thursday, March 31, 2022

Now in Utah, Boondocking by the Lady in the Tub

 I displaced to the Valley of the Gods, Utah this morning.  By 8:30 AM I had topped off the propane and gas tanks and was heading north on US191 out of Chinle, AZ.

About two hours later, I got to the west end of the Valley of the Gods road and shortly found my desired spot was taken.  Dang it.  I had to go another 2 miles or so east to find myself a spot by the rock formation known as The Lady in the Tub.


So, do you see a Lady in a Tub?

A bit later, before the clouds really moved in, I headed out on Scarlett to see what I could see.


Here's a closeup of the Lady in the Tub



I like the composition presented by these formations

The Castle Butte area is as far as I went, I decided
to save the other half of the valley for later on.


I did run by to check on the site that I'd originally wanted, it was occupied by tenters...so hopefully they won't stay long.  If I see the spot open, I'll do a hasty displacement.

Nearby, is a different angle on the Lady in the Tub:



I love this area.  I'm close to the Moki Dugway, Gooseneck State Park, Mexican Hat and an area yet to be explored by me: Muley Point.

Stand by for lots of rock formation pictures.

6 comments:

RichardM said...

Nice location and red rocks!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM, The place is more crowded than the last few times I've been here! I guess it's getting popular or it's spring break perhaps, I don't know.

CCjon said...

You are finding fascinating places, hope the tenters displace and you stay awhile longer, exploring new trails.

From the back angle it gives the impression the lady's head might not be up there for long.

Were the cliff dwellings to be seen only or were there trails leading down to them? Looks like it might have been a several day hike to reach them?

redlegsrides said...

Thanks for the comments CCjon.... As to the cliff dwellings back in canyon de chelly I am not aware of any trails I think they're just to be viewed.

As to the lady in the tub, The official name given to it by the BLM is Balanced Rock, boring and obvious. I moved to a better spot today once it was freed up.... Will be here at least another week.

SonjaM said...

Spectacular rock formations, Dom, and nicely put in scene with your hack. I have a hard time recognizing the lady in the tub though, however I am glad, that you were talking about a rock... :-)

redlegsrides said...

Glad you liked the pictures SonjaM. As to the lady in the tub, picture four, if you can imagine the balanced rock being the head, the smaller rock it's balanced on neck and shoulders then the wider square looking rock is the bathtub, perhaps that will help.