Saturday, March 26, 2022

Slow easy days in rapidly warming weather....time to head northeast

 March 23, Wednesday

Today's accomplishment was the repair and reinforcement of the mud guard flaps supports for the VRRV's dually wheels.  They had loosened enough, the supports, that the flaps could conceivably be pushed against the tires when in a following wind.  Probably not good in terms of friction heating up the tires.



I went for a short ride in the afternoon, realizing as I went that I'd seen the trails I had chosen already in previous rides.  I guess I've covered the area quite thoroughly.
This is the "Cow Pie" in the map below



Some more stuff found while meandering about the desert on Yagi:


To include the gravesite and marker for someone's dog:


March 24, Thursday

Spent the day, sheltering from the sweltering sun, keeping the motorcycles in the shade whenever possible.  I did manage to improve the sealing of the battery compartment to further keep the dust out, to protect (somewhat) the existing inverter.


Sheltering in the shade on another hot day

Not much got done but the finishing of the accumulation of rusted tin cans and metal bits into four piles.  No way I can carry what is at least 100+ lbs. of rusting metal.  I looked it up, it takes about 55 years for tin cans to rust away.  

Given the conditions I found the cans and other assorted containers, I figured they'd been around for at least 35+ years.  The rust was well developed and you could, with care, push your finger through the remaining metal on some of them.




Some of the metal trash I found strewn about was larger items, I figure this area has been used previously as a dump by the locals.  Freaking swine!

March 25, Friday

It was a hot one, the high temperature would reach 90°F (32.2°C) outside and 95°F (35°C) inside the VRRV!  Needless to say, I spent most of the day outside, in the shade again.

It had been pretty windless all day, making the heat quite sweltering.  Towards 5:00 PM though, a breeze started to blow though, cooling things down somewhat.

The sunset wasn't too bad.




March 26, Saturday

The day started pretty clear but would turn overcast quite soon after sunrise.  Still, a nice sunrise was made available:



Another hot one today, though there were more clouds in the sky which helped along with a pretty steady breeze.

Today was my last day in the area, as it's the 14th day of the usual 14 day camping limit set by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).

The plan is to drive Northeast towards the NE corner of Arizona to check out both the Petrified Forest National Park and Canyon de Chelly National Monument.

Here's what I got for a goodbye from Ajo sunset:



7 comments:

SonjaM said...

I have a sunset overload, but in a good way. How about making pic no 18 your new header pic? It's incredibly beautiful.

RichardM said...

Beautiful sunsets! Not as nice around here even when on the beach. Some clouds make all the difference…

redlegsrides said...

Thanks very much for the kind words, SonjaM, your request is granted.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM, yes, clouds are key, that and a clear horizon so the sun's fading light can shine through and work its magic.

SonjaM said...

Thank you very much, Dom.

CCjon said...

Thank for introducing us all around Ajo. Learned a bunch, really should go see for myself.

Keep the sunrise / sunset photos coming, enjoying them all.

redlegsrides said...

You're welcome CCjon, and will do!