Saturday, November 07, 2020

Uraling on the Moki Dugway

 One year, one month and two days ago, I had ridden Scarlett, my 2014 Ural Patrol Sidecar Rig to the Moki Dugway road for pics and while returning via the Valley of the Gods Road, her swingarm had cracked and deadlined her.  Link to that day's debacle: LINK

I am happy to report, there was no repetition of that problem today while riding Fiona, my '99 Patrol.

First though, a view of the camp as the sun made its way above the horizon, and briefly was able to shine through what would be an overcast morning:


It's less than ten miles to the base of the Moki Dugway, and I took highways all the way there.  As is my habit, I rode all the way to the top and would take pictures on the way down.

As opposed to the last time, I found a rough trail which allowed me to park above the Dugway and shoot the two following pictures:


Look closely at the center of the picture, is that an old wreck?

Yep, an old wreck, can't tell what it was though....can you?

Next I rode to the second large curve to the spot where one can park, walk a short distance and get a nice view of some of the switchback curves:



The Valley of the Gods in the distance

Note the square opening above Fiona, see the two figures there?
It was two Russian tourists who I briefly chatted with and told
them about the spot for pictures of the switchback curves.


The Moki Dugway isn't as dramatic, I think, as Shaffer's Trail in the Canyonlands National Park near Moab, Utah....but it'll do for today.

The weather and winds were picking up as I rode along the Valley of the Gods Road back to the campsite:


Got back to camp and the tent I'd put out as a placeholder was being pushed down by the increasing winds.  The whole area was under a Wind Advisory from the weather service and it made the job of taking down the tent quite difficult.  Nothing like getting sand-blasted while doing this!

Managed to get the tent and associated items in the leeward side of the URRV and got it all packed up easier, out of the wind as it were.

The rest of the afternoon was spent napping in a slightly rocking URRV, which is broadside to the winds coming from the South.

Here you can see the dust in the air as the winds continued their eons-long work of shaping the multitude of rock formations in this valley.



The weather is supposed to turn colder starting tomorrow so it'll be time to head a little further south I think, towards the Sunset Crater National Monument perhaps.

4 comments:

SonjaM said...

Wow again! Spectacular rock formation. Looks like someone pulled the plug, and the ocean floor is all that's left.

redlegsrides said...

That’s probably exactly what happened SonjaM....the inland sea that was Colorado was breached and the water draining helped create the canyons of Utah and Arizona.....

CCjon said...

Thanks for reminding me of a place to visit. Great photos. Been pass it, around it, over it but never actually through it. Need to correct that fault asap.

redlegsrides said...

Indeed CCjon, perhaps on your way to AK !