Thursday, November 05, 2020

Cataloging possible campsites along the Valley of the Gods Road

 Soon after breakfast, with temperatures only in the mid-40s, I rode out on Yagi heading west on the Valley of the Gods Road to both get pics of rock formations while the sun was not too high in the sky; and to catalog possible future campsites suitable for Umarang's needs.



I believe this rock formation is called DeGaulle and his followers




The Lady in the Bath tub


I found and catalogued in my Pocket Earth GPS App about 7 sites that should be usable by Umarang in the future, should the need arise.  I quit counting the numerous turnout sites located on the side of the road since I wouldn't like them even though they're usable as campsites.

Returning to the campsite, I noticed a nearby site with a nice backdrop and more secluded was now available.  I left Fiona on the site to "claim it" and then walked back to the old campsite (less than a tenth of a mile I think) and proceeded to break down camp and move everything over to the new site:


That's the Seven Sailors Rock formation in the background, and yes I am copying the method used by squatters to "claim" a site and hopefully prevent someone setting up next to me.  It's either that or police barricades and the entrance was too wide for that.

So far, the campers I've seen in the area want lots of space around them, no one seems to want company and that's fine by me.


11 comments:

Oz said...

Do you get a lot of wind in that open area? It seems like it would be windy. The photo with the sun directly over the formation is very good.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Oz, pretty mild winds so far but I imagine it wasn’t only the meager rain that has carved the existing rock formations!

Bluekat said...

Some lovely rock formations all around. Are you saying you set up “fake campsites” to make the area look full? 😂 I guess I need to hang onto my old tents after all. Might come in handy.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Bluekat and yes, lowdown move as it is, I’m finding it necessary to deploy the tent.

RichardM said...

Deploying the “tent” for the weekend. It’ll be interesting to hear how it worked in the next post...

redlegsrides said...

I’ve high hopes RichardM....

BMW HACKER said...

Wow....very nice area...how far off the pavement was your camping spot?

Bluekat said...

Not low down. I love it! 😆 seriously though, who goes out to boondock then parks right next to someone. Point is to get away from people. 🤦🏻‍♀️

redlegsrides said...

I used to think people would realize such an obvious point Bluekat but recent experiences have shown some campers are clueless when it comes to what it means to boondocking and dispersed camping!

SonjaM said...

Nice, Dom. The one pic with the sun on top is a picture perfect moment. The formation reminds me of Castil de Tierra in the Spanish desert Bardenas Reales.

redlegsrides said...

Thank you SonjaM, it was totally unplanned by me....just happened to look up and there it was.