Sunday, November 15, 2020

Boondocking in Block C of the Barry M. Goldwater Gunnery Range

 I displaced about 130 miles west of my campsite of the last few days, entering Block C of the same gunnery range where I'd been camping in its Area B.

Block C is in the western half of the range but my permit was an all areas access permit so I was good to go after I checked in via the Luke AFB isportsman website.

I'm about 2-3miles away from the small town of Tanac, AZ, south of I-8 Super Slab.  Like Area B to the east, this section of the range is open to the public and apparently little known as a camping area as I have the place to myself!

Well, almost to myself, I kept seeing Border Patrol vehicles going to and from along the main road into Block C.

Campsite just east of Baker Peaks

After I set up camp, I rode Yagi over to a set of old military armored vehicles.  This portion of the range has some buildings identifying themselves as Target and Threat Electronic Warfare so I'm assuming these vehicles used to be targets?

Since the area is now open to the public, I was sure no bombs or guns would be used on these vehicles anymore:

Anti-Aircraft vehicle....unsure re the model

Old M60 Tank?

Near as I can tell, an old TOW Missile Launcher
(TOW: Tube-Launched Optically-Tracked Wire-Guided)

Another Anti-Aircraft Gun Carrier

After checking out wrecks, I rode Yagi up to the top of the nearby hill where there were some antennas and microwave dishes installed to check out the view:




Can you spot Umarang?

Spent the rest of the day puttering on some small stuff on the URRV, doing some cleanup and such household tasks.  Nice and warm but comfortable in the shade of the URRV.

Sunset was cloudless but found a nice location for future sunset shots perhaps:

See the little square object silhouetted on the hilltop to the left of the antennas?  That's a Border Patrol Truck looking to the South....the agent was there most of the afternoon and left shortly after sunset.




8 comments:

Bluekat said...

Kind of cool all those tanks out there to check out and photograph of course.

SonjaM said...

What a desolate scenery. Looks like a perfect area for aliens (I mean the extraterrestial kind) to land in.

The last one is your money shot, Dom.

redlegsrides said...

You can go inside the tank too, Bluekat, lots of sharp edges and bits to bump into,

redlegsrides said...

Desolate is a good description SonjaM, and I agree about the last pic. Thanks!

CCjon said...

Now if you parked UMA next to any of those tanks, doubt if anyone would encroach on your campsite. Of course tossing out a firecracker two in the middle of the night would discourage anyone from approaching.

You may have found the perfect spot for your isolation.

RichardM said...

Desolate? That’s your description of a perfect site isn’t it?

redlegsrides said...

No CCjon, knowing the majority of humanity, parking Uma next to the tank would have them crawling all over Uma as well

This site is definitely in the top 3!

redlegsrides said...

Desolate, solitary, vast and open views with zero humanity, call it what you wish RichardM....I believe it was SonjaM who used that word, and it fits!