Thursday, November 12, 2020

Hanging out in Area B of the Barry Goldwater AF Gunnery Range

 Wednesday, November 11: Veterans Day

Spent the day relaxing close to the campsite for the most part, did a lot of nothing surrounded by quiet solitude with the occasional road noise from US Highway 85 in the background.

The temperatures got into the high 60s so it was not bad at all, just sitting outside, reading my e-books and drinking a beverage.

Thursday, November 12

Today marks the 25th Anniversary of Martha and I being married.  Truly the woman should be sainted for putting up with me for all these years!  I woke to this via text message:


I particularly liked having achieved the "0 stabbings" statistic, I don't mind saying!

I spent the morning riding Fiona down to the town of Ajo to check out their visitor center for the Cabeza Prieta Wildlife Refuge.  Not much to say and the info I gathered there nixed any plans I might have had to displace down there for camping.

I checked out some of the BLM land north of town and it was "meh":


Yes, there were sites one could camp on, but the trails to them were rough and very rocky....and the lack of scenery basically eliminated these areas for me.

Headed back north, I re-entered Area B of the gunnery range via Gate 14 and cruised on down south paralleling the rail line within Area B.  Nearly got stuck, again I realize, trying to negotiate a portion of Trail #642 (note to self: don't go down this trail anymore!) and had to put Fiona into 2WD to make it past a steep drop off on the main trail.

Returning to camp in time for lunch, I ate and then had me a short nap.  Afterwards, it was time to photograph some of the rock formations that surround my campsite.  These rock formations also block access to the area from the rest of Area B so it's almost like having a private portion all to one self.



Same rock formation above and below, just different angles




The rest of the afternoon was spend basking in the late afternoon sun, reading my book and having an adult beverage before 5PM.  I'm waiting for a replacement lamp to arrive at the NAPA store in Ajo tomorrow (at least I hope they can meet their estimated delivery date).  The plan then is to displace probably as early as Sunday and head south/southeast.....maybe the BANWR, or maybe Fort Huachuaca, AZ.  I remain unsure at this point.


8 comments:

RichardM said...

Looks like a nice area.

Nice anniversary text!

redlegsrides said...

It’s pretty secluded and somewhat hard to get into legally RichardM....supposed to be in the mid-70s today and tomorrow.....I’ll most likely displace in Sunday

Oz said...

Happy anniversary! No stabbings is a very good stat to have in your life :)

redlegsrides said...

Indeed Oz, thanks

SonjaM said...

Happy anniversary to Martha and you. Here's to the next 25 stabbing-free years!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, definitely will try for the stabbing-free part!

Bluekat said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! No stabbing. That’s good! 😄

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Bluekat.... definitely a good thing, the no stabbing part!