Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Wyoming Boondocking - Day 19: Boondocking in the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area

Monday, Sep 14

 Almost made it to the border with Utah but not quite, so still boondocking in the great state of Wyoming.

Instead of staying one more night at the Lower Wind River Campground, I broke camp this morning and was soon on the road towards the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area.

Around 1330-1400, I had found a spot after a brief recon via Yagi while I left Uma and the trailer near the main access dirt road.  The dirt road provides access to a boat ramp run by the US Forest Service.  There is dispersed camping in the immediate area near the boat ramp and I found a nice spot with usable cell signal.  I am about 15 miles away from the  town of Manila where the HQ and visitor center for the recreation area are located.

The internet access I'm getting is via Extended LTE, hadn't seen that before, but it seems usable so far.

It's supposed to be in the low 80s the next few days with lows in the low 50s.  Perfect!

Views of the campsite:


View from the top of the small hill next to campsite

Here's the water views you can see from the top of the small hill next to the campsite:





I went for a light exploration of the trails that traverse the area and found a nice beach front location.  

Looks pretty inviting doesn't it?

Small problem though, there's an infestation of some kind of possible harmful algae bloom in the reservoir's water.  You're not supposed to go swimming or getting in contact with the water.  So much for cooling dips.

The boat ramp which attracts most of the traffic I've seen so far.

By traffic I've seen, it's been a couple of kayakers, two trucks towing boats and one small SUV wandering around, possible seeking a campsite.  That's pretty small numbers, so am pretty happy with that.

I imagine there's way more people on the weekends, I see evidence of many fire rings dotting the shorelines near me.

As you can see in the photos, the skies are filled with haze and smoke from wildfires.  I hope it won't affect photography too much as I seek scenery over the next few days.

2 comments:

SonjaM said...

So much water, and still so much barren land. The haze will probably make for colourful sunsets. This is what happened back when we experienced a wild fire near Vancouver.

redlegsrides said...

The reservoir's water is for others apparently SonjaM, didn't see any distribution mechanisms for the surrounding lands. The haze made the sun look like a red ball last evening but photogenically it was a wash. You're right though in that wildfire smoke tends to make redder sunsets.