Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Back in Colorado - Rabbit Valley Boondocking

 Tuesday, September 22

I left the Flaming Gorge Brinegar Crossing campsite just before 8 AM and was soon in Manila, UT.  The sunrise that greeted me this morning wasn't too shabby:


I dumped tanks at the free dump site provided by the nice citizens of Manila.  It was next to the grocery store which made it convenient to get some supplies.  The grocery store is next to the gas station which made it convenient to fill the URRV gas tank up.  Almost like they thought it up that way when they put in the dump station huh?

By 1 PM, I was in Rabbit Valley, Colorado.  I must say, they've improved the camping signage and delineation of campsites quite a bit!  It used to be pretty much a free for all but now there's clearly marked sites and no camping anywhere not designated as such.  The signage is much improved in that there's now signs, before it was a bit of a mystery at times where stuff was.

I found a nice site, with lots of distance from the neighboring sites.  Got set up in no time and had a late lunch.  




The winds picked up between 4 and 5 PM but it also blew away all the clouds that had been covering the skies until then.

I went on a light recce with Yagi, to see where to go exploring tomorrow.  There's now a clearly marked trail that's just begging to be explored to the north of me.  That's for tomorrow I think.  I then rode south to the valley area where all the OHV traffic plays on the weekends.  

The sun was entering the golden hour and lit up this rock formation quite nicely don't you think?



There's a small narrow canyon near the above rock formation which is advertised as a horse trail but motorized vehicles are permitted:





I then cruised over the I-70 Super Slab using the overpass and saw signage (new to me) pointing to a campground called High North.  I liked the name and followed the gravel road.  It climbs to the top of a mesa of sorts.  There's 15 camp sites with nice views of the valley below:

This is the view from campsite #2:


That's the I-70 Slab below

I think next time I camp in Rabbit Valley, I'm going to check out the High North campsites!  I think it'll also be a good spot for sunset shots with one of my sidecar rigs.

Speaking of sunset, it wasn't too bad at the campsite:

Kudos to the BLM folks who've worked to improve conditions at this and nearby campsites!  As I write this, I can barely see my nearest neighbor, the noise from the highway isn't audible inside the URRV and barely when standing outside, and being here on a weekday, the solitude is gratifying.

Speaking of signage, strategically located maps are now available for reference!



No comments: