Tuesday, September 08, 2020

Wyoming Boondocking - Day 13: I'm going to be here a few days.....

 I woke to over 8" of fresh snow all around, deeper in spots where the wind had created drifts, but pretty much at least 8".

Here's how things looked at around 7:20AM:


Thinking to help Mother Nature along, I did do some snow shoveling but after working up a sweat realized that even if I got to the main forest road, that road had a 6" covering of snow and ran for at least a mile, with a slightly steep hill before rejoining FR 19!  

This amount of snow will take a few days to melt away I fear.  Luckily, this area has one last cold snap tonight and then temperatures will be steadily increasing over the next few days with highs in the low 70s starting Sunday.

In the meantime, I'll continue clearing away snow where I can, perhaps ride Fiona, my '99 Ural Patrol with the beemer engine, if I can get her to start.  I think the battery isn't doing great with the cold, and I'm presently charging up the battery with the small generator.

Yagi, by the way, is useless on snow.  I rode/pushed her to check out the trail conditions back to the main forest road and she barely made it there and back with me in full pontoon mode.

Next time, I think I'll run from the snow....just saying.


8 comments:

RichardM said...

I’m surprised you stuck around. I guess the good thing about the snow is no neighbors!

redlegsrides said...

Yeah, my mistake RichardM.....

SonjaM said...

Snowfall in early September fondly reminds me of Calgary. I remember when it happened I was working from home in my heated apartment, it had a fireplace, too.

Take care, Dom. Thankfully the cold snap will not last long, and then you can find lower grounds (even if this will mean: more people around...).

redlegsrides said...

I’ll look forward to lower altitudes SonjaM, even if there’s more people.... :)

CCjon said...

I'm rooting for Fiona to start and get you around to check out the sights. Should be some wonderful photo opportunities.

redlegsrides said...

Working on it CCjon!

Oz said...

Burrrr. Stay warm and enjoy the peaceful scenery. At least the snow should not stick around too long and you can escape soon.

redlegsrides said...

After the last couple of days of sub-freezing temperatures, Oz, the present 41F feels positively balmy! Bright sunshine helps tremendously of course!