Monday, August 31, 2020

Wyoming Boondocking - Days 4 & 5: Another Lazy Day and now near Buffalo, WY

 Sunday, Aug 30

Another lazy day of relaxation at the Bixby Public Access Area campsite on the North Platte River.

A very windy day mind you so not exactly a warm day, once the clouds moved in to block the sun it almost got chilly!

I did go riding with Yagi in the morning but only to meander about the BLM land near the campsite, same old scenery already shown to you so no pics were taken.

Spent the rest of the day reading, checking out the temporary reinforcements on the trailer, miscellaneous minor chores on the RV.

It would go down to 41°F (5°C) overnight so I made sure to have the extra blanket handy before I went to bed.  No need to run the catalytic heater!

Monday, Aug 31

Moving day.  Broke camp and was on the road a bit before 9AM.  Tried to dump tanks in the RV park at Glenrock but the office was closed till 10AM so I kept going.  

I made it to Buffalo, WY around Noon I think and found a free dump station at the Cenex Gas Station in town.  Good deal.  

Made my way out of town on WY Hwy 16 West, to find a place to stay near Buffalo.  Martha and I are checking to see how well General Delivery works with the USPS.  I'd forgotten some tools at home and she mailed them to me on Saturday, c/o General Delivery at the main post office in Buffalo.

The USPS website says the package has arrived so I'll be riding the 12 miles or so back to town tomorrow to retrieve it and check out the town as well.

Using the allstays app, I found a fee spot at the Tiehack Campground run by the National Forest Service.  No signal though which was a bummer.

Before setting up camp, I rode about 2.5 miles to get cell signal to let my family know my status and to activate the Garmin Inreach account so I could use my Inreach device for messaging in case of emergencies since I had no signal in the campground.

Returning to the campground in a light rain, I decided to check out a camping area on Circle Park Road near the Tiehack campground.  It turned out to be a dispersed (free) camping area and there were a couple of spots available!  Better yet, there was usable 4G signal.

I hurried on back to Tiehack campground, and since I'd already paid the $9.50 (Interagency discount due to my holding the American the Beautiful pass, regular fee is $19.50 a night), I was able to at least dump trash and top off the fresh water tank before displacing.

Got back to the Circle Park Road site and someone had beaten me to the really nice pull through spot! Oh well, the alternate worked out just fine.  It did take a bit of effort and maneuvering to get the URRV level but  now it's close enough for government work!



I had to deploy the antenna and use the weBoost device to be able to upload the above pics, downloading stuff seems fine.  Oh well, better than no signal!

It's supposed to get down to 34°F (1.1°C) tonight, and it's already 48°F (8.8°C) as I finish this posting so I'll probably run the catalytic heater tonight, on low, but still.

6 comments:

CCjon said...

Last day of August, summer is winding down for you.

When setting up camp, do you prefer to be facing the wind, the sun, or what? Any strategy to how you position the RV?

That spot in your photos, are the trees a wind break?

redlegsrides said...

I usually try to point the URRV north-south CCjon, makes for better angles for sunrise/sunset shots sometimes. Given a choice, pointed South is best as the afternoon sun can be blocked somewhat by the awning on the right side of the URRV.


The trees you see are west of me, and prevailing winds tend to be from west....then south so maybe they’ll block any winds that pop up.

RichardM said...

34°F! That sounds like it's time to head south or lower elevation… Just my opinion…

redlegsrides said...

I know right?!

It’s going to warm up the rest of the week but highs won’t top mid-70s for a few days. I’ve lost all ability to withstand cold.

Oz said...

Only been in that general area one time, but enjoyed it. We stayed a night at the historic TA Ranch south of Buffalo.

redlegsrides said...

So far it seems a nice mellow area Oz....