Monday, August 17, 2020

Kremmling, CO - Day 3

 Thursday, Aug 13

Today's objective was to find a closer up view of Gore Canyon:

Shot from top of escarpment north of Kremmling

So, though I did try for several hours, I didn't find a closer up location for the above shot of Gore Canyon due to private property restrictions mostly.  It was also very hazy today, am sure a byproduct of the fires currently burning to the west of here around Grand Junction I hear.

I even tried going on Trough Road which leads to Pump House and Radium Recreation Areas, but they are basically on the other side of the gap shown above.  Only way I see, besides rafting down the Colorado River (not sure its allowed anyways); since the river is what carved the canyon in the first place.

The  only thing that crosses that gap besides something on the river is the railroad:

Overlook enroute to Pump House Rec Area

If the haze/smoke clears up in next day or so, I might try the telephoto lens at the top of the escarpment to see if it can be better than the shot above.

Here's a shot of Scarlett earlier in the morning when I went to check out visibility from up there.  It was too hazy of course and the light was against me.  Here, Scarlett is returning to CO Hwy 9 using CR 227.

CR 227 and Wolford Mountain

I rode back to the previous boondocking spot, still looking for the thermometer station I'd not seen since I moved yesterday.  It wasn't there, sigh.

Got back to the campsite, to temperatures in the high 80s, and ransacked the URRV one more time looking for that stupid thermometer station.  After going through the whole URRV one more time, it suddenly hit me to check the bag where I was storing all the crap I've picked up since the last two campsites.  I'd brought it in, you see, when prepping to move to the present boondocking spot.

Well, as you probably assumed, there the damn thing was, atop the pile of garbage I've collected.

Rest assured, the darn thing is now mounted to the wall, no longer just sitting atop the furnace thermostat, subject to being forgotten in a hasty move and lost.


The fires currently raging in and near the state are still causing very hazy sunsets:




4 comments:

CCjon said...

Nice colors in the Gore Canyon shot. That would be an interesting ride up thru that canyon.

Is the fire haze giving you a more reddish sunset? Or breathing issues

redlegsrides said...

Only way to “ride” it is by train CCjon....as to the smoke, no breathing issues and rather diffused and meager sunsets where I Was.

RichardM said...

Very cool sunset photos!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM, makes me wonder how the sunset looked on the Front Range.....