Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sights from the 40th Floor at the New Job

At my new job as a contractor network engineer for Encana Natural Gas, in their office at the Republic Plaza Building in downtown Denver, I recently learned that the building's 40th floor (out of a total of 56 floors), is used by Encana for conferences and training rooms.

Turns out, the building is the tallest one in Colorado, heck the whole US Rocky Mountain Region!  It's the 109th tallest building in the USA.

Friday afternoon, I had a chance to wander up to the 40th floor with my camera and took the following pictures of the views from 40th floors up.  Hope you like them.  I am going to explore in future days, whether I can take pictures from floors that are higher up but not owned by Encana.

 Looking towards the northwest

 Looking towards the southwest


 The next tallest building, kind of looks like an old fashioned cash register
I am told, is the Wells Fargo building.  The TIAA-CREF
building is where I park my motorcycles.

 I like the reflections on the nearest tall building.

 Looking down to the Methodist Church


Reflections again....

One side of my building faces 16th Street and its mall.  It's a pedestrian-only zone for tourists and visitors.  It's also where the entrance to the food court located conveniently in the same building!

The commute in to the downtown area remains 45 minutes, no matter the level of traffic it seems.   About an hour to get home though, as then I am in the flow with everyone else whereas I go in early enough to avoid a lot of cagers.

10 comments:

Gary France said...

They are some terrific views. I too like the reflections in one of the buildings. Having worked for most of my career in London, where traffic can be really bad, I reckon an hour commute each way is reasonable these days.

Canajun said...

Seems to really tower (no pun intended) over the rest of the downtown.

RichardM said...

The mountains seem to be a long ways away. But it looks like a great view. What kind of a view do they give you?

SonjaM said...

Definitely nice view. I thought they IT guys would always sit in the basement and are afraid of sunlight ;-)

Can't you filter through traffic on Brigitta to make the commute shorter and more bearable?

I admit to have turned down a job once when the commute was getting over an hour one way...

redlegsrides said...

The duration of the commute is about 15 and 30 minutes longer now, respectively, than two gigs ago. Still, it's bearable so far. We'll see come winter.

redlegsrides said...

Canajun, nice pun!

redlegsrides said...

SomjaM, well the IT folks are located on the second floor....closer to the food court! No lane filtering allowed here in the states except California where they call it lane splitting and it's mostly done wrong or different from rest of world.

redlegsrides said...

RichardM, we in IT are in the second floor and I have a cubicle. The offices closest to me on the building's outer perimeter have a nice view across the street if the Brown Palace Hotel.

Trobairitz said...

Wow, that is quite the view. I couldn't imagine working in a high rise.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Trobairitz, if I had an office view on the 40th floor, I would probably daydream too much.