Monday, May 06, 2013

Uraling in Alaska - Day 27: Wasilla Car Tour and an Evening Ride

Bob and Sharon took me on an extended car tour of the Wasilla/Palmer area today, including driving up to Hatcher Pass to show me around.  It was a "rest" day for me after yesterday's long day of riding and it gave me a chance to look over potential picture sites with the area's gorgeous mountain scenery as the background.

 Just a few miles from Bob and Sharon's house, we saw three moose on the road,
a mother and her two offspring, pictured above.  We were
within 20 feet of them, and they paid us no attention as they wandered
amongst the trees, nibbling on the willow leaves.

 Near the top of Hatcher Pass, viewing the buildings of the 
Independence Gold Mine where Bob had his first job in Alaska.

 Sharon and Bob
I told Bob they'd have to move, given the lack of scenery in this area.


 View of the mountains as one descends from Hatcher Pass

Pioneer Peak, viewed from the Regional Medical Center.

After a nice dinner, Bob and I rode our rigs out of his neighborhood.  I followed him down two lane roads first to the Olsen Bridge which Bridget had mentioned to me last night:

 Our two rigs at the Olsen Bridge

 The view from the parking lot of the local Home Depot Store


We then road back to Bob's house in the gathering dusk.  Quite the day, looking forward to seeing some of the scenery again but this time on our rigs and not shooting through the front windshield of Sharon's truck.

Here's a video I made out of several short videos I shot while we ascended and descended the road that led to Hatcher Pass.



Thank you, Bob and Sharon, for showing me around!!!

8 comments:

BeemerGirl said...

Quite the scenery! Yeah...you're gonna get so bored riding through that. Not having any good places to park the rig and take some beauty shots... ;)

Keep up the good times, good pictures, and thanks for sharing!

SonjaM said...

brilliant, gorgeous. You were in for quite the treat. Meanwhile in Germany... no snow but cherry blossom and 23C (73.4F).

RichardM said...

Nice photos of the Hatcher Pass area, Nice x-country skiing in the area. One of these days I'll get back there again.

So what's the story on the anti-shake video? Built in feature of the camera?

redlegsrides said...

Truly do I not understand how folks here Put up with the lack of scenery! ;)

redlegsrides said...

Sonja, 73f! It's a heat wave !

redlegsrides said...

YouTube detects shaky video and fixes it for you on demand

Unknown said...

Dom:

So Nice of Bob&Sharon to show you around. Not many places to stop, but you may be ok with just stopping on the road, as there does not seem to be much traffic.

Looks so peaceful

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

VStar Lady said...

I am amazed at how bare the road is with so much ice and snow around. I have to agree with Bob - you're probably safe stopping on the road, given the traffic. Amazing. Thanks for sharing your once in a lifetime adventure.