Thursday, August 15, 2024

Hiking to the Pawnee Buttes and Changing Campsites

 Wednesday, August 14

This morning I spent about three hours or so hiking from the Pawnee Buttes Trailhead over to the buttes themselves.  Almost 4.5 miles round trip, possibly a bit more as I made a detour on the way back to check out another rock formation.

It was cool when I started out at 8:27 but it warmed quickly once the clouds disappeared!  Still, I took it slow and managed to not break too much of a sweat.


West Pawnee Butte

East Pawnee Butte

Pawnee Buttes

The Buttes from the rock formation I 
detoured onto on the way back.

Rest of the day was spent recovering/resting from the hiking.  I am getting more and more out of shape it seems.  The rains tonight were not bad but the wind storm was quite something!  I had to once again bring in the slide out in order to minimize the rocking done by the VRRV!

The sunset was not much due to rain storms.  I zoomed in on the light after the sun set as it backlit the distant wind powered generators:

Thursday, August 15

A much calmer and sunny day today!  The winds in the morning weren't too strong and by the afternoon had settled down into the single digits.

After breakfast, I decided I'd had enough of the winds and rains endemic apparently to the spot I camped on.  I decided to try my luck at a site which seems more protected from the winds as it lies in a small shallow bowl.  

As you can see, the site has a pretty good view of the buttes.


Something happened when I returned from a ride, which emphasizes the wisdom of turning off the RV's water pump when not at camp.  I turned on the water pump upon returning and the dang hot water valve popped off and water started pouring out!

I'd just replaced the darn faucet too, I think two camping trips ago.  Damn plastic crap.

As you can see, I bound the cracked cap which holds the valve in place, cut off the hot water feed and it's holding so far.  A new and hopefully more robust faucet is inbound via Amazon.

I basically lazed about the campsite, reading books and relaxing.  Some short rides to see what sites were occupied, stuff like that, only one other camper found!

I rode out on Yagi as the sun was nearing the horizon, used a nearby wind vane for these shots:


I'll be curious to see if the place fills up as the weekend approaches.  I talked to a Forest Ranger who stopped by the camp to advise there's a fire ban in effect.  He too was surprised to find the lack of campers but he thought it might fill up for the weekend.

7 comments:

SonjaM said...

Brilliant Yagi shots, Dom, with a nice Wild West touch to it with the windmill thrown in. Cheers, SonjaM

redlegsrides said...

Danke SonjaM!

Oz said...

The bike and windmill photos are good. Sorry your faucet broke. Plastic stuff just isn't good.

redlegsrides said...

Yep, Oz, you're right....bad design didn't help in this case either.

RichardM said...

I agree about the windmill photos. Stunning!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Oz