Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Now Boondocking near Taylor Park Reservoir, CO

I left the Westcreek area on Sunday, the day was going to be rainy and cold.  Besides, Martha had called the night before and reported the battery once again dead in the 2014 Honda CRV that we use as a towed vehicle when camping.

I was home by noon or so and determined the alternator was putting out a charge so it had to be the battery.  I'd had it checked very recently, as mentioned in the previous post, but it wasn't taking a charge.  It had been on a charger overnight.

A quick run to Walmart and I removed the battery in the Auto Center parking lot.  It was very hot to the touch!  I was barely able to hold it in my hands to carry it inside to exchange it for a new battery.

The clerk said it was probably leaking on the inside.  I don't know for sure, I do know I'd never had a battery be so hot before!   Anyways, $120 later, I had the new battery installed and all should be well.  It was a six year old battery.

Today, Monday, July 22.

Martha and I left home with the CRV in tow around 9:30 and were in the Taylor Park Reservoir Area about 4 hours later.  We tried a couple of spots, lost some time trying to level the VRRV in the second spot with no luck.  The third spot proved doable in terms of leveling though some work might be needed later on.

The weather was quite nice in the afternoon, sunny but not hot.  Here's a shot of the camp as I worked to set things up.  Definitely a Starlink required site, we were barely getting a 3G signal otherwise.


We'll be exploring the area over the next few days.  Martha also wants to check out the Wild Flowers in the area near Gunnison, CO.

Tuesday was a lazy day for us.  Bonus: The two nearby campers left by 1PM so we have the area basically to ourselves!

Sunset was meh:

4 comments:

CCjon said...

Having that many nice camping areas close to your home, where you can run home to swap out a battery. I could get spoiled with that arrangement.

How do you like the new patio set up?

redlegsrides said...

CCjon, I like the patio set up a lot, though it takes a few minutes to set up. I should have bought the zip-on version for the main screen that runs along the tube belong into the awning instead of having this slide it in and out each time I have to roll up the awning.

Oz said...

I have been by Taylor Park Reservoir a few times on the motorcycle, but never camped there. It is so pretty and love Cottonwood Pass.

redlegsrides said...

The dispersed camping area I was camping at, Oz, turned out to be really for ohv and 5th wheel traffic along with group camping. Not for me, so I probably won't be back.