Thursday, July 25, 2024

Displacing to Mushroom Gulch Road, near Buena Vista, CO

Tired of the crowding we'd seen and experienced, and with mounting evidence of even more inbound fifth-wheeled/SxS-laden campers, we displaced away from Taylor Park this morning.  In turns out, this area is a widely known and reported on as an area for OHV explorations.  Too popular for me, I doubt I'll be back.

Someone must have spotted us packing up because no sooner had the VRRV left the campsite but two fifth wheel trailers where positioned at the mouth of the access road to grab the spot!

Although there were six large fifth wheel rigs ahead of me trying to leave the area, I saw more rigs and cars and SxS/ATVs roaring inbound in clouds of dust.  It was almost a traffic jam.

At the turn off towards Cottonwood Pass, I turned left and all the damn rigs kept on going towards CO 135.  Martha had gone ahead towards Buena Vista to get some groceries.  I saw her CR-V parked at the pass summit.  She apparently spotted me and filmed the VRRV as it made its way down from the summit.

Pics by Martha of the Cottonwood Pass Summit area:



I cruised on through to Buena Vista and got onto US24 heading east out of town.  I turned onto County 307's eastern entrance and soon turned left onto County 308 aka Mushroom Gulch Road.  Found a nice, almost level campsite.  It's part of a long narrow group sized site but there was only one other rig at the other end from me.  It also looked like someone had left a portable canopy to "hold" a spot but not sure.

Here's a couple of shots of our campsite.  It's quite better, in terms of surrounding environment, than the Taylor Park site!  Not as great a view but the lack of people is so much better.


After lunch, before which Martha had rejoined with me, she relaxed in the VRRV while I went on a recce ride with Yagi, my TW200 to scout out possible future campsites.  There turned out to be several more site, some large, some small, most all doable by the VRRV.

County 308 provides access to this wide open valley/meadow area....quite nice.

The site we're in has no cell signal so it's definitely a Starlink site!

1 comment:

Oz said...

That pass is pretty and very fun to ride.