Tuesday, May 28, 2024

OTRA: On The Road Again

I left the overcrowded cesspool that is the Denver metro area, and took the long way north towards Fort Collins. 

The city of Fort Collins has become quite crowded too it seems.  Fortunately, I did not have to go deep into it to get onto Colorado Highway 14 and westward towards Red Feather Lakes area.

Google maps proved to be more of a hindrance than the aid in trying to get me to the spot I had stayed in before on DeadMan Road off of County Road 86.

In the end, and because I had not conducted a good map reconnaissance, I discovered that Deadman Road is closed seasonally from December to July, doh!

No worries though, I found myself a nice spot before the gate area and set up camp. 

As you can see, it was quite cloudy and the sun was not abundantly available.  Still I got enough sun to charge up the house battery and run the Starlink system once.  Cell signal is weak and slow for the spot. 

I did a short ride exploring the area around the campsite to see what neighbors I had. I only found one tent camper nearby and a fifth wheel setup near the closed gate. 

I also found that some guy had decided to use the forest as a storage area for his pop-up trailer: 

Annoying, don't you think?

More riding under less cloudy skies tomorrow hopefully. 

The second time I went to use starlink, I was unable to connect though I tried several reboots.  

Finally I got a notice on the starlink app saying there was a service outage and that they were working on it. I guess I will try tomorrow morning and see if they fixed it.



4 comments:

CCjon said...

You have not been up this area in a while, looking forward to seeing your photos. Heading into Wyoming as well?

redlegsrides said...

Not sure, CCjon....stay tuned. 😊

Oz said...

Well at least you don't have a lot of neighbors so hopefully it will be peaceful.

redlegsrides said...

Oz, a fifth wheel rig setup today a couple hundred feet or so from me. Luckily, all the trees hide them from view.