Wednesday, July 19, 2023

T-Dub'ing to find new Campsites

Spent last couple of days exploring the area around my campsite and then doing some exploration of the National Forest area south of Westcreek, CO.

Pikes Peak in the late afternoon

Rode Yagi, my TW200 Dualsport in a big loop comprising FR 323 and 324.  The highlight being a repeat visit to the rock formations at what I believe is Scorpio Dome.


Today, I spent the morning exploring a portion of the Pike National Forest south of Westcreek, CO.  I'd been told of Rule Creek Road by Bob W., a neighborhood friend who'd camped there before.

Nice area, but my VRRV is limited to the first two miles as the road gets progressively worse and not doable by Uma.


I returned towards Woodland Park using Painted Rocks Road.  There were some cool rocks on the north side of the road just before CO 67.  No way to get closer, I suspect it's National Forest Land but could see no way in.

So I contended myself with pictures from the road:




I checked out possible campsites to the south of my present camp, along Rampart Range Road but didn't find many.

It rained pretty hard after lunch and I was glad I was back safe at my campsite.  The lightning was hitting pretty close too!

The weather turned nice once the storm passed over, with occasional periods of nice sunshine warming things up nicely but not hot.

10 comments:

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

Some very impressive rock piles there Dom, living in between the trees to give them scale. It had been weeks since my TW200 had been out, started right up today and will see some use over the next few days.

Have fun, be safe!

RichardM said...

Nice picture of Pikes Peak. It looks like you are at higher elevation.

redlegsrides said...

Indeed Coop, sadly out of close examination reach though. I always wonder how you manage to exercise all your vehicles. :)

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM, shot from the roof of the VRRV...

Spat said...

Hanging around Colorado is not a bad thing and you do good at capturing Pikes NF beauty of the rock formations. You know Full Moon Madness AKA 'The Rivival' in PNF is very soon. The full moon is the 1st AND 30th in August, I'm not sure when the gathering will be thou, I'll be in STL in early August and will miss out.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Spat/John.... Not sure where I will be during those dates a lot depends on what Martha wants to do in August.

CCjon said...

Is that unusual to see rock formations among trees? It is to me. I would expect to see them among other rocks and hills.

redlegsrides said...

Yes, CCjon, unusual.

SonjaM said...

These are some funny looking rock pillars as they stand somewhat misplaced between those trees. Nice find, Dom! Cheers, SonjaM

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, now if only I could figure out a way to get closer to those rocks without trespassing. I am pretty sure it is National Forest land, but since there are no signs or access shown...