Friday, July 21, 2023

Boondocking along Rule Creek Road, Near Westcreek, CO

 I displaced yesterday to check out camping conditions in the area I'd reconned before.

I lucked out and grabbed one of the "prime" spots that are located in the first mile from the junction of Painted Rock Road and Rule Creek Rd.

Thunder Butte to the left of Uma

Uma with Devil's Head in the background

I'd spotted an interesting road in the distance, having noticed a small white square object.  I found the road, which is an OHV road, and found the object, a weather station.

Here's a view of Uma and my campsite from the weather station, with Pikes Peak in the background.


Here's the "white square" that lead to the finding of the weather station viewpoint:




Here's some pics take after the thunder storms which passed to the south of my campsite.  Got a bit of pea-sized hail, the winds weren't bad and the rain definitely made things noisy inside the VRRV!





Today, I made a run to nearby Woodland Park for some condiments for tonight's dinner.  Once I returned, I put stuff away and the spent about an hour or so on a slow pootle on FR 357 aka Rule Creek Road all the way till pavement started again that would lead to Divide, CO I believe.

The road was enjoyable in terms of technical riding, all of which was within my low ability levels!  Lots of puddles to dodge, one I couldn't dodge and resulted in getting my feet wet on the outbound ride, not so much on the inbound ride.

As I neared my campsite, got this nice view of Uma, again with Devil's Head in the background.


My view from under the deployed awning on the VRRV, now that things have warmed up again.


Dinner tonight was "Butter Steak", I call it that because the recipe which I found through Instagram calls for a half a stick of butter in the steak's cooking.  Yummy.


Pretty good sunset this Friday.  The weekenders have been arriving all afternoon, it should be interesting to see how crowded things get.  I know the southern end of Rule Creek Road was infested with campers this morning!


5 comments:

CCjon said...

Really nice set of photos here, especially #3 with Pikes Peak in the background.

Enjoy your weekend among the greenery. Nice change up from the dry desert photos of AZ and Baja.

redlegsrides said...

Thank you CCjon, definitely a different environment. Left today, Saturday, the place was getting ready to be swarming with noisy OHV scum.

redlegsrides said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SonjaM said...

I love the dramatic cloud "mountains", great pics, Dom!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM! The cloud formations were pretty cool, even though the weather itself was kind of crappy for a while.