Friday, April 28, 2023

Uraling to Lovell Summit and Views of Charleston Peak

 Lovell Canyon Road, where I am boondocking, is a somewhat narrow and long canyon with a mostly paved road providing access to many dispersed camping sites.

At the top of the road, about two miles from its summit, is Lovell Summit.  I saw a sign for it and of course had to go see what was there.

It's a dirt road, with lots of rocks and not great condition but Ural-able so long as I stayed in first gear and maintained momentum.  No issues making it to the summit and this is what I saw:





Not exactly the awesome views from the summit of Colorado's passes but not bad.  After all, the peak is under 12,000 feet!


You can apparently ski on this mountain, in the right time of year of course.  You can actually drive much closer to the peak but not quite to the top like you can with say Pikes Peak or Mount Evans in Colorado.  The Charleston Peak Scenic Byway only reaches 8500 ft at its highest point.

I drove Scarlett back to the campsite.  The rest of the day I saw more and more cars and campers showing up as the weekenders sought a spot to camp or enjoy the hiking trails.

4 comments:

RichardM said...

Is it cooler with the higher elevation? Today, it was in the mid-90s. Almost too hot…

redlegsrides said...

Definitely cooler, RichardM. I think today's high was 74F.

SonjaM said...

Wow, what a mighty mountain view. I guess you prefer this scenery over city life, eh?

redlegsrides said...

Natürlich, SonjaM!