Saturday, April 08, 2023

More Pearce Ferry Boondocking

Thursday, April 6 (continued)

After lunch in Meadview, I rode Scarlett to South Cove, about six miles north of town to check it out


Its main feature is a large cement boat ramp, which due to water levels, was out of operation since it couldn't reach the water anymore




I wandered about the area and found a makeshift boat ramp in use. That's about it though and I returned to the camp site:


Back at camp, I managed to break the omnidirectional weBoost antenna and so have no cell signal at the VRRV anymore.

I either get crappy connectivity at the site of the old seismograph bunker or ride six miles to the junction Pearce Ferry Rd and Pearce Airstrip Rd where I get great signal. Oh well...

I relaxed the rest of the afternoon away.

Friday, April 7

After doing a check-in with Martha and the Z's while at the junction of Pearce Ferry Rd and Pearce Air Strip Rd, I headed down the rough "road" to the air strip to see what I could see. Turns out, you can see quite a lot! Popular spot too, there was a car park there and I would soon be joined by another car with some hikers and even a small plane landed on the strip while I was there. The pilot and his passenger apparently knew there was cellular internet connectivity here at the edge of the cliff near the air strip!
Gateway Rock Formations leading to South Cove

Airstrip with the plane that showed up



Colorado River at Pearce Ferry

A bit further out view

I can't imagine the upheaval forces that caused such
huge hunks to rise and up end like this.

Can you see Umarang?

Soon enough, I headed back the way I came, stopping only another pic of South Cove's entry rock formations
I stopped at the information plaques at the Pearce Ferry campground and got this info for you to flesh things out that I've mentioned before in previous posts


I then headed over to the location of Pearce Ferry, or at least, to the boat ramp used to take boats out of the Colorado River. I didn't find any remaining evidence of Ferry buildings and such, though I did ride a back trail that led to these small rapids:



I kept looking for this spot for a Then and Now moment but this is the best I got:

I returned to camp by 1:30 PM and rested the rest of the afternoon away as the overcast skies finally gave way to partly to mostly sunny skies and warming temperatures. Here's a few pics of Yagi as the golden hour neared....



2 comments:

Philip and Sharon said...

Great shots!!! Thanks for sharing.

redlegsrides said...

Philip and Sharon, thanks!