Friday, April 15, 2022

T-Dub'ing in the Marlboro Point and Mineral Bottom Road Areas

 Friday, April 15

Happy Tax Day!  

Today it was Yagi's turn for riding.  My Yamaha TW200 was made for this kind of country I must say.  Not a lick of trouble, no issues with terrain and exploring was easy.

First stop was to get on Utah 313 which takes you towards Canyonlands NP.   First though, I turned off on the road to the Dead Horse Point State Park, but detoured short of the fee station to go check out Marlboro Point Overlook area:


Check out the precariously balanced rocks,
I think it's neighbor is helping to hold it up.
The pointy rock formation is Alice Point




Next, I tried to get into the Canyonlands NP but there was a line of cars ahead of me, with an approximate 30 minute or so wait to get in.  I didn't want to wait so I turned around and started exploring side trails off of Utah 313.

I'm very glad I did.  Found campsites that were empty, and though they had little to no cellular signal, there were nice locations.



Eventually, I made it back onto Utah 313 and headed towards its end, the Mineral Bottom Road.  This road plunges down the side of the mesa and lands one near the Green  River.  Lots of hairpin turns and cliff-side views to make anyone happy.

The boat ramps are down the road, this is the
Green River




Then I started my way back up Mineral Bottom Road:







I started heading back the 30 miles or so back to the campsite, stopping to check out possible camp sites along the way.  I only found one with usable cellular signal and marked it on my googlemaps.

I stopped at this side road for a view of the Merrimac and Monitor Rock formations:


Got gas again at the Archview RV Campground and some beer.  Gas remains above $4.50 for the 85 octane stuff.  

Saw a lot of Jeeps and campers throughout the day, I think it's going to be a pretty full weekend of people trying to enjoy the outdoors!  I think I'll wait till the Easter Weekend is over with before trying to get into the Canyonlands NP.  Forget Arches NP, you need a reservation to get in nowadays!


2 comments:

SonjaM said...

The Green River seems mighty brown to me ;-)

These "Marlboro mountains" are an awesome backdrop for your bike.

redlegsrides said...

SonjaM, greenish-brown perhaps? ;)

I really liked the Marlboro Point overlook, may have to go back.