Monday, April 04, 2022

A Rest Day, another look at/from the Moki Dugway and Electrical Gremlins

 Sunday, April 03

A day of rest, fittingly enough.  It was gray and overcast all day.  Didn't do any riding.  Lots of resting and reading though.  

Decided to also enhance the VRRV's visibility to others.  Usually, not my objective as you know, but in this case it had a purpose.  The campsite I'm presently in is atop a small hill, so you really can't see the motorhome from the access road into the valley.  So there was a chance some guy would try coming up the narrow trail to the top only to find my stuff blocking the way; then would come the fun of turning his rig around!

From the road, you can just barely see the directional antenna for the weBoost cellular booster.  I wanted to make it more visible by attaching a moving object, since the human eye is drawn to movement as you might know.

Here was the first attempt:


It was quite visible from the road, but it produced quite the drag on the mast itself.  Still I let it run till evening, then took it down.

Evening shot with Scarlett and the Lady in the Tub

Monday, April 04

Spent most of the day troubleshooting the turn signals on Yagi, my Yamaha TW200.  I went down a voltage rabbit hole before trying different bulbs and now I think all is well with Yagi's rear turn signals.  At least, I hope so.  I'm just sorry I dragged RichardM along on this rabbit hole run.

Spent the morning dinking with a different flag setup, just two microfiber cloths taped together, with a smaller surface area to hopefully reduce wind drag.

Less drag but still causes more movement of the mast
than I like.

Around Noon, I left the campsite to get another look at it from near the top of the Moki Dugway.  I'd figured out, you see, that you can see parts of the Dugway from the campsite, so I figured you'd be able to see the VRRV from atop the Dugway!

Base of the Dugway, I'm headed for the
outcropping on the right, see below for
closeup view


Standing up on top, you can see the valley stretched out below:


Now can you spot the small brown hill in the middle of the picture below?  That's the hill next to the campsite:


A little bit closer....the road you see is the VOTG access road which forms a loop from County Road 261 to US Highway 163 on the east side.


Closer, you can now spot Uma, the VRRV perhaps...


Finally, this is as close as the optical zoom function of the Sony HX80 allowed me to get.  Considering the distances involved, not too bad.  I did shoot the pics with the camera on a tripod too.


The spot where I took the above pics of the campsite is known as the Valley of the Gods Viewpoint:


On the way back to where I parked Yagi, the standard shot of the hairpin turns:


I wanted a different, more complete view of the hairpin turns section so I walked down to the rock shelf that overlooks the section you can't see in the above pic:


Not much difference but at least its different that the standard shot everyone seems to get from the viewpoint of the VOTG.

That's it for today.  Presently charging up the battery on Yagi, ran it down troubleshooting the turn signals for over 4 hours!  Sigh.  Sorry to have wasted your time, RichardM!

No comments: