Monday, April 18, 2022

Solving the Cave Mystery with a Hike into Arches N.P.

 I set out this morning for the Klondike Bluffs Trailhead, thinking that would get me within walking distance of the "cave" I'd seen yesterday, and to confirm or deny thereof.

From the Klondike Bluffs parking lot, there was still almost 5 miles of sometimes very technical dirt road/slick rock.  I'm happy to announce I didn't drop Yagi at all, though there was some "outrigger" actions at times!

Still, she got me within a 1/4 mile of a narrow trail which led to the Arches N.P. boundary fence.  The trail climbs to the top of the bluffs, which was basically one very large area of slick rock.

I walked towards the target rock formations and realized two things.  Klondike Bluffs weren't them and you can't get there from the bluffs, there's a bit of a gap and I found no way to descend down from the bluffs.

A bit dissapointed, I returned to Yagi, my TW200 Dual Sport and pondered the map some more.  I retraced my way through the arduous Klondike Bluffs Trail safely and then followed directions to CR26 which is also known as Copper Ridge Jeep Safari Route.

This turned out to lead me back to the same viewpoint I'd been on yesterday when I'd spotted what I thought was a mysterious cave.  Turns out, the light and shadows of the day fooled me, it was actually an arch!  Tower Arch to be precise.


I proceeded on CR26 till I reached the slick rock fields that border the Arches National Park.  I parked Yagi and then set out on foot the estimated 1.5 miles to the arch itself.

The weather was warm and sunny, so the hiking went fine, though I regretted leaving my water bottle with Yagi.  Oh well.  There were several rock formations and such to get past before one approached the arch:



Finally, I spotted the arch!


There was an older couple there when I arrived, but they paid me no mind as I took pictures and they were soon gone.


The Tower for which the arch is named





Two Panos came out ok, I was so close to the arch that the other panos didn't pan out.

Shot this with my back against the back wall 


By the time I was done with pictures, another couple showed up and I left the arch to them.

One last look back at Tower Arch

On the way back, spotted and took a pic of the backside
of the rock formation known as Marching Men

I made it back to Yagi with no issues and drank all the water in the bottle I carried in the saddlebag!  Suitably refreshed, I got back on Yagi and headed back on CR26.  Eventually, I made it to the Long Valley dispersed camping area along BLM 142 and from there, the US191 highway.

Got back to camp sometime around 2:30 PM I think.  I rested the rest of the afternoon away, though I hiked less than 5 miles perhaps, I felt very tired from all the walking on slick rock and up and down rough terrain.

Tomorrow, a neighborhood friend: Bob W. a retired UAL Pilot and his friend Steve from Chicago are joining me here in Moab.  Steve is riding his BMW GS motorcycle from Chicago and Bob is bringing his small camper with his truck.  Bob will also have his dual sport motorcycle with him, I think it's a Honda CRX but not sure.

The plan is to do some riding with these guys over the next few days, I'm not sure how long they're staying.  I'm thinking of leaving by the end of the week, and drive on home if the weather is good at the mountain passes on I-70.  We shall see.

3 comments:

SonjaM said...

Arches NP never ceases to amaze. Great pics, Dom.

RichardM said...

Sounds like fun!

redlegsrides said...

SonjaM, its quite the collection of cool rock formations!

RichardM, it was a good day