Sunday, October 04, 2020

Cañon City's Skyline Drive and Fall Colors on Phantom Canyon Road

First was a ride to Skyline Drive and it's scenic views.  The light was very flat at mid-morning but you get what you get:



Giving up on Skyline Drive till a different time on a different day, I started heading back to the campsite and elected to take Phantom Canyon Road to get to it instead of US50.  Once on Phantom Canyon, I decided to keep going to the canyon as it was still early in the afternoon; it would turn out to be a good decision, mostly.

 I really must remember that weekends can be fraught with danger and clueless cagers when planning rides on roads that have multiple blind curves, narrow lanes and lots of distracting scenery.

Regardless, I managed to not get hit so here we go:

The first fifteen miles or so were scenic in terms of rocky canyon walls:




After about mile marker 16, the leaves on the Aspen Trees had started turning yellow and it got progressively better the further north I went on this road.  I went across the county line and three miles into Teller County before turning around and posing Scarlett:











In spite of several idiots driving too fast on blind curves, I managed to make it back down Phantom Canyon Road with no incidents.  Rode Scarlett back to camp using the back way I'd planned on originally when turning off of US50 onto Phantom Canyon Rd.

As to yesterday's looking at several parcels of land, I'm sad to report nothing found that we liked.  The search will probably continue, we'll see.


8 comments:

SonjaM said...

Don't you love when the aspen trees change colours. I am loving it. With regards to the land you're looking for, I am sure you'll find it. No rush.

Oz said...

The Aspens are so pretty. I have only been in Colorado one time in the fall and loved it. I really need to return. I rode Phantom Canyon Road about 5 years ago on the Vstrom I had at the time. It is a fun rode, but the blind corners have to be approached with caution. I have yet to take Skyline Road. Great photos yet again!

RichardM said...

Very scenic. Too bad about the lack of decent land prospects.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, trying to be patient but it’s not exactly my strongest suit. :)

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Oz, the blind curves were nerve-wracking at times due to idiot drivers....definitely not a road to consider riding on weekends I think.

redlegsrides said...

The search continues probably RichardM, we’ll see.

Bluekat said...

There it is. Love those fall colors!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Bluekat....