Monday, October 05, 2020

Boondocking near Poncha Pass - Day 1

 I displaced from the Penrose BLM Common Use Area this morning, and drove the URRV to another BLM area just south of Poncha Pass, which itself is south of Poncha Springs, CO.

I've stayed in this area before, I think three times before if I recall correctly.  Each time, in a different spot within the dispersed camping area.  

This time was no different, after doing a recce via Yagi, I got the URRV situated in a spot I'd seen before but had not had a chance to camp in.  Great 4G signal, but a bit difficult in terms of finding an easy to level the URRV spot on.

It looked deceptively flat in parts but when I positioned the URRV, it would take some effort.  Finally got her in a good spot though I had to use four of the leveler blocks on the right side dually tires!  It's a slightly higher step up to the first rung of the entry steps but no big deal.  


When I checked in with Martha, she asked how the Fall Colors were looking in the area.  I sent her this iphone picture of an area at the edge of the campsite:


After a late lunch and setting up camp, I got on Yagi to see if I had any nearby neighbors and to check out the surrounding area for Fall Colors.

Found me a gate to part of the Rio Grande National Forest while wandering around, something to be explored sometime this week for sure.

Found no neighbors to my south and only one fifth wheel camper to the north, quite a bit away from me so it's all good in terms of isolation space.  Hopefully it'll stay that way through the rest of the week.

Here's a pic of Yagi with part of the Sangre de Cristo Mountain Range behind her.  Or, as Martha says: "The Sangria de Cristo"!


I hope to finally summit Marshall Pass this trip, tried a couple of times but have been stopped by snow before.  I'm also hoping that Fall Colors will be in good display along the road to Marshall Pass; the sure are in the surrounding area of Poncha Pass and even spots within the BLM area as well.

4 comments:

CCjon said...

You have the great colors going on there this week. Beautiful.

Re land, be patient and keep looking. If you find an area you both like, start talking to the locals. They will know about properties for sale that might not be on the market currently. Also they can educate you on utility availability, problems with surrounding lands, planned developments or mining, etc.

You don't want to purchase land then find out about the sulphuric tailings being dumped upstream from you. Or be downwind of a cattle feedlot. The locals know all about this stuff that a seller might not mention.


redlegsrides said...

Thanks very much for the feedback and advice CCjon....as to getting feedback from locals...I’m pretty clueless due to my curmudgeon ways. Perhaps Martha’s outgoing personality will help obtain this info.

CCjon said...

That's what I was thinking, Martha with her warm personality would be great in getting people to open up and tell her everything.

redlegsrides said...

What can I say CCjon, she’s indeed my better half.