Thursday, October 08, 2020

Boondocking near Poncha Pass - Days 3 & 4: A little more Fall Colors and displacing closer to Westcliffe, CO

 Wednesday, Oct 07

Rode Scarlett over to Westcliffe to check out some land for sale there.  About a 90 minute ride each way but with light traffic for the most part so all good.

Found a property I liked, more research to be done and we'll see where that goes.

Thursday, Oct 08

Spent the morning wandering about the BLM forest roads almost directly across from my campsite area, across US Hwy 285.  Nice little bit of meandering, and though I forgot the SD memory card for my regular camera, I made do with my iPhone:









After the above riding, I returned to the campsite and by 1245PM I had broken camp and was moving towards Westcliffe.  The idea being that it would cut down on transit time to further explore properties in the area and nearby developments as well.

I got to the DeWeese State Wildlife Area and found an open spot on a spit of land projecting onto the reservoir.  There's space for others so we'll see if things fill up as the weekend approaches.  Perhaps I can learn to tolerate the close company of others, so long as they're not exactly on top of me.

I rode to a spot where there was usable 4G and bought a Colorado Fishing License via their website.  You have to have either a Fishing or Hunting license now, to use a State Wildlife Area for camping....used to be free but I guess they're needing the money.

License confirmation number in an email, I was good to go and returned to the campsite to finish setting up camp.  I raised the weBoost antenna mast and got 2 bars LTE though throughput was very low, still better than 1x which was the unboosted signal on my cellphone.



More exploration of properties tomorrow I expect.

4 comments:

SonjaM said...

The iphone does work well, Dom. Great photos, love the colour scheme. Looking forward to hearing more about your property research.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM....I was using the “warm vivid” option in the iPhone camera software.

Bluekat said...

Gorgeous scenes. I especially like no. 3 down. I guess because I just want to be there. Good luck on the property search.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks for the feedback Bluekat, they were nicely meandering trails to be sure.....