Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Uraling to Slumgullion Pass and visiting the Alferd Packer Massacre Site

Friday, Jun 5

Martha had decided to wait till Saturday to rejoin me here in the Wupperman Campground near Lake City, CO.  This meant I had the day to myself, so of course, some riding was involved.

Easy riding today, it was all paved highway, nicely paved highway too.  CO Hwy 149 is in good condition and lightly traveled.  I rode Fiona out of the campground on Hinsdale County Road 30 until it junctioned with CO Hwy 149 and I turned south.

I made a quick stop along the way at the Lake San Cristobal Scenic Overlook.  A short walk and one is presented with a nice view of the lake:

Lake San Cristobal

About ten miles later, I was at the summit of Slumgullion Pass:

Those are the San Juan Mountains

 Uncompahgre Peak

 Sunshine Peak on left, Redcloud Peak middle and Red Mountain right

Wetterhorn Peak left, Uncompahgre Peak middle and Crystal Peak right
This view from the Windy Point Scenic Overlook

Making my way back to Lake City, I stopped at the memorial site for the Alferd Packer Massacre.  Also known as Colorado's Cannibal, it's quite the tale of desperate survival back in the day.

More on Alferd Packer here:  LINK


The site is pretty small, basically a tiny parking lot, a couple of signs (weather beaten and faded), a memorial plaque and some small crosses.

Here's some closeups of parts of the signs that weren't too faded:




This carving gives Alferd a bit of the "Helter Skelter" look

Source: Denver Public Library


Back at the campground, I checked out one of the other interesting campsites, maybe we'll get this one next time we're here:

Site 21

9 comments:

RichardM said...

The carving looks like the picture. Weird look and all…

What’s the elevation here?

Oz said...

I will be in that are at the end of the month. I will make sure to stop by the Alfred Packer site. The group I will be leading will enjoy that. We will only be on paved roads. I love SW Colorado.

redlegsrides said...

RichardM, minimum of 9200 and just shy of 10,000 ft around the Lake City area.....all the passes are above 12,000

redlegsrides said...

Thanks for commenting OZ, the massacre site isn’t much but with a little imagination....

Bluekat said...

The pic even looks a little like Manson. Creepy!

CCjon said...

The Packer incident caused all kinds of theories to be imagined. A crushed skull does not mean that was the cause of death.
Interesting countryside you are exploring.
Are you sanitizing?

redlegsrides said...

I bet the jury too one look and convicted him, Bluekat

redlegsrides said...

Hinsdale County is rated one of the most remote counties in the Lower 48, CCjon....I like it! Sanitizing when possible, avoiding people as always.

redlegsrides said...

Oh I forgot to mention, apparently lots of Texans flock here in the summer and own property there!