Sunday, June 14, 2020

Back to Boondocking near Turquoise Lake, near Leadville, CO

June 8, Monday

Ah, springtime in the Rockies.....

I displaced from the Lake San Cristobal Recreation Area this morning and by Noon I was in the Leadville area looking and finding a nice spot to camp near Turquoise Lake.


Rest of the day was spent dealing with stuff at home via phone and setting up camp.  Nice and almost warm afternoon.  I went to bed with a forecasted two inches of snow overnight.

June 9, Tuesday.

I woke to this and a balmy temperature of 35°F (1.6°C):





Springtime camping in the Rockies indeed!

After a quick breakfast, I geared up, brushed the snow off Fiona, my '99 Ural Patrol and went for a ride before things melted.  The weather forecast is for a high temperature of 48°F (8.8°C) today so I don't think the snow will last long at all.

It took a bit of cranking but Fiona did finally turn over and wake up.

I stayed in the local area, waiting for the mountains to show once the morning haze/fog burned off a bit.

 At the Turquoise Lake Dam

 Next to Mt Massive Golf Course....highest in the nation apparently

 Mt Massive

 Main trail through dispersed area campgrounds

Home again

Almost all of the snow was gone by the evening, it had gotten as warm enough to melt it all away.

It remained cold enough though to cause me to spend the rest of the day relaxing in the warm interior of the URRV.

Here's a late afternoon of the view of Mount Massive, Colorado's second highest Fourteener, from the window of the URRV:



Today's sunset was middling


5 comments:

SonjaM said...

It's mid of June and you are still talking snow, Dom... However, I like the snow pics. Meanwhile we are thrown into one heatwave after another with the odd break in form of a thunderstorm in between.

redlegsrides said...

No snow remains on top of the Alps?

SonjaM said...

Yeah, some but snowline has receded to > 2,500m

Oz said...

Snow! Wow! It made for a great ride and pretty photos. That is so crazy.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks for the comments Oz, I always prefer the Rockies with snow on them.