Monday, September 10, 2018

Trying a Directional Antenna for Boosting Cellular Data Signals

In the seemingly never-ending quest for stronger/better cellular data signals while camping, I bought a directional antenna from Amazon.  ($40)

The manufacturer is Altelix and its their Wide Band Log Periodic Directional Antenna 698-2700MHz 12dBi 2G 3G 4G LTE WiFi N Female for 50 Ohm Cell Phone Boosters

I peeked inside, it's basically a Yagi Antenna in a plastic housing.


As my Weboost 4G-S Booster uses SMA coax connectors, and the Altelix antenna comes with N type connectors, I had to buy a DHT Electronics RF coaxial coax adapter SMA male to N male Wi-Fi adapter to hook things up.


The above adapter allowed me to connect to a SMA extension cable, female on one end, male on the other.

I did some brief testing today at the RV Storage Yard.  Results are promising.

I get 5 Bars LTE coverage at the storage yard so had to measure differences using the speed test app from OpenSignal.  The app, by the way, also has a section indicating where the cellular signal is coming from so you can aim the directional antenna.


The figures circled in red are with the directional antenna in use instead of the cellphone's internal antenna.

Not much difference in download speeds of course, since that's the signal from the cell tower.

Note the better performance though, in the upload speeds, since the antenna is "boosting" the week transmitter in the cellphone.  Not too shabby.

Performance with the Omnidirectional Antenna I had before?

20.18 download  15.74 Upload with a 30 ms latency, so not bad either....

All the above testing, again, is at a location where I'm getting a -55dbm signal anyways and in real use would not have bother raising the antenna or using the WeBoost Booster anyways.

More testing to follow, but I am optimistic.


2 comments:

RichardM said...

Looking forward to the further testing where the signal is marginal.

redlegsrides said...

Me too