Saturday, June 09, 2018

Uraling to Mount Evans and a Fiery Sunset

A pretty good Saturday of Uraling, in spite of the hordes of cagers on the road today.  Despite a very late start (for me anyways), Fiona and I fought our way through the hordes of cagers to get across the cesspool that is Denver and made it to the foothills unscathed.

Once in the mountains, it was short work to the Bergen Parkway exit and from there to the eastern end of Squaw Pass Road, aka Colorado Highway 103.  Traffic on this road wasn't bad and I discovered it was just as well I was late leaving the house; the road up Mount Evans had been closed to traffic (for some bicycling event I think) until Noon.

I got to the fee station on Colorado 5, near Echo Lake, and cruised right on through just short of 12:00 PM.

Lots of cars to be watched and avoided as required.  Plenty of drivers driving scared of the edge of the road.  Really folks, if you have a fear of heights, don't drive these mountain roads.  Just saying.  There's no guard rails, barely a shoulder to the road at times, and of course, there's the bicyclists....










Just short of the parking lot at the top of Mount Evans, I saw the road choked with cagers waiting for parking spots.  I've been to the top many times, even on Fiona I believe, so I just turned around and headed back down.




 Not much snow left near the road on Mt Evans.

I motored back onto eastbound CO Hwy 103 and did some brief exploration of a couple of forest roads I'd bypassed before.

FR 7941, near mile marker 15, proved to lead to a small area where there were about six or seven guys doing some target shooting.  It's legal in this National Forest, before you ask.  I waved at them, they waved back, everyone happy.

FR 2521, near mile marker 21, actually let me discover a restored CCC gazebo-like structure which protects a water source called Arapahoe Springs.



The rest of the ride home was pretty uneventful, just heavy traffic and muggy conditions once I neared the Denver Metro Cesspool Area.

Back in my home neighborhood, I went to the usual sunset spot and got some pretty good pics of Saturday's sunset.


 Denver Skyline







3 comments:

RichardM said...

It sounds like you’re ready to leave the cesspool…

Really nice road shots and beautiful sunsets.

CCjon said...

Cool cloud formations you encountered.
Makes great shots.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Jan, apologies for the late reply, blogger is no longer sending me emails when someone makes a comment....