Sunday, June 03, 2018

Uraling to Kit Carson, Colorado

Been boondocking back at the Hugo State Wildlife Area this weekend again.

Got the same nice spot, with good 4G LTE coverage, and no one around most of the time.  This being the weekend, there were two-three instances of fishermen coming up to try their luck in the nearby ponds; but they did not linger long.

Started camping Saturday, and got a nice sunset to enjoy while sitting outside in the warm evening:



Sunday dawned quite nicely, I must say:





After breakfast, I rode the 36 miles or so, in rather windy conditions, to the town of Kit Carson, named after the famous scout/western figure.

Not much to the town, while it used to be quite the railroad hub back in the day, being a transloading point for the southwestern states; time and progress have caused it to become just a small sleepy town with US 287 running through it.

I saw that the local museum was open in what looked to be the old train depot/station.


I will say, not really that much in the way of train stuff.  Lots of stuff about tools, appliances of the day, displays of old time gadgets, furniture, farm tools and such....but not much train stuff.  Still, can't be the entry fee, which is nothing though donations are always welcomed.

Some of the stuff that caught my eye:

 Ghastly looking device, a Dehorner, It was
used to remove the horns from farm animals.

Used to make ice in early refrigerators.

 No, not an instrument of torture,
it's a Nestle Multi-Triumph Permanent Wave
Machine, for women's hair apparently.

  Some cool, if a bit dusty, cameras

You can go inside this caboose, but my interior shots didn't really come out.  You're not missing too much really.


Across the street from the main museum, there's an enclosure with lots of rusting farm ground implements and this quietly rusting away light house composed of miscellaneous parts.


There were a few sheds as well, one containing a bunch of saddles and a wheeled buggy and two old cars:




Another shed contained more tools and old pulley wheels, I liked this old drill press:


The weather was closing in as expected, so I headed on back to avoid getting rained on.  No such thing as warm summer rain here in Colorado.  On the way back, I found they'd named CO Hwy 94:


The rest of the day would be spend in gusty windy conditions, which caused me to bring in the slideout for several hours.  

Shortly after lunch before the winds really picked up.

The winds are supposed to calm down this evening into the mid teens so that'll be good.  Clear and sunny tomorrow!

Finally, a nice sunset to cap off a nice day of boondocking:






6 comments:

Kathleen Jennette said...

I'm glad to see you are still posting on your excursions. It has been awhile since I have been by and sure feels like home reading this.

SonjaM said...

Dom, these colours are spectacular. One never gets tired of it. I am amazed how good your cell phone / internet reception seems in these remote looking spots.

SonjaM said...

Dom, I love your quest for sunsets, and I envy your current lifestyle. If I were still living in a country with huge spaces and wide highways, this would be my dream. Thanks for your continuous effort to share your adventures with us.

MotoVentures said...

Cool pics Dom! A website article I found about the lighthouse/lookout tower said it is 35 feet tall and was built in the ’50s by a retired submarine welder. It was built about 21 miles away and then moved here.

redlegsrides said...

SonjaM, apologies for the late reply, blogger is no longer sending me emails when someone makes a comment....

you're most welcome, as one of my few consistent readers, it's always good to get your comments.

Motoventures, apologies to you as well for the late reply, blogger is no longer sending me emails when someone makes a comment....

Thanks for the info re the tower.

redlegsrides said...

Kathleen, apologies for the late reply, blogger is no longer sending me emails when someone makes a comment....

Thanks for the kind words.