Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Uraling the Pacific Coast Highway - Day 56: Still in Salem, OR

Today, I stopped by Raceway Services to show the guys the clutch dragging behaviour being exhibited by Valencia when things are hot.

After successfully showing the behavior even after they adjusted the clutch cable to their satisfaction, the decision was made to tear into the clutch to see what's causing the dragging.  Parts were ordered, and are being sent overnight.  I'm due back at Raceway Services tomorrow around mid-morning and they're going to "make it right'.  This is per Jim and also Frank who is the new owner of Raceway Services!

I met Frank today, and he's got his own URAL on order.  He ordered an orange one just like Valencia as his daughter likes the color orange, to the point of having it the dominant color in her own bedroom.

So, as I had to stick around, I rode out to McMinnville, OR and located the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum located near there.

The museum is quite the setup, much fancier and financed than the smaller museum near Tillamook.  It's main attraction is the Spruce Goose, the largest airplane built by famed millionaire Howard Hughes.  The entrance fee is a bit pricey but the exhibits are top notch.

I shot lots of photos but as this is a moto-blog and I am not that much of an aviation enthusiast, all you get is the ones that meant something to me in particular.  :)

 The goose is one big aircraft, I bet its bigger than an Air Force C5!

Link to first video of the Spruce Goose
Link to second video of the Spruce Goose
Link to last video of the Spruce Goose
(in case you're wondering, was talking on the phone while filming)

 I liked the color scheme on this Russian plane, probably part of their version of
the Blue Angels 

 The ME-262 "Swallow", awesome first generation jet, an
aircraft I've always thought of as quite beautiful

 A pretty new looking URAL GearUP on the floor....what's up with that?

 An older URAL with a pretty color scheme was the second URAL
on display at the museum

 I liked the way they hung this "montage"

 A slightly goofy way to carry visitors around the large three building complex

Looks like the MIG-25 is chasing Valencia!

I left in the mid-afternoon, having spent several hours in the museum's buildings.  They even have a movie theater with aviation specific offerings but I skipped the showings.  The day had turned hot and it was with relief that I got back to the hotel I'd stayed in last night and got myself the same room I slept in last night.

Oh, and while talking to Martha over other matters while perusing the museum's offerings, it looks like I'll be heading towards Colorado once the repairs are done tomorrow.  It's time to go home.  I am road-weary and one should always end a trip on a high note.

6 comments:

RichardM said...

I think you may lose the race with the MiIG-25 chasing you unless you were both on dirt roads.

Almost two months on the road may be enough to satisfy your wanderlust for at least a few months. Maybe even a year.

redlegsrides said...

Hi Richard,

Technically, been on the road since 5 April so tomorrow will be two months....and there's at least three days or more of riding to get back to Denver.

redlegsrides said...

Oh, and added videos of the goose

SonjaM said...

Wow, already two months gone... time flies by when you're having fun.
I have never been on such a long journey, the longest was 5 weeks but usually I find myself getting restless again after a few weeks at home.

Safe trip home, I bet your family will be glad to have you back safe and sound.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Sonja, I've a new perspective on what I previously viewed as "whining" on the part of the "the long way round" riders now. One gets road weary in spite of the new experiences, new friends, new sights. There's almost 1400 miles between me and home still.....

RichardM said...

There's a valuable post in there for those of us that would like to take such long trips...