I had found myself reaching a bit forward with the stock bar mounts on Vikki during last weekend's riding and wanted the grips brought back about an inch and a bit higher so I would not be leaning forward slightly.
They're very nicely machined parts and fit right onto Vikki. I will admit I mounted them in a hurry and badly the first time around but Oscar fixed me up today with a bit of work from his tap and die set. ( I now know how to use such tools and own my own set )
Barbacks and Risers from SV Racing Parts
I also had a chance to do my scheduled maintenance task on Vikki, apart from just topping up fluids and such that I did last weekend. Vikki is just shy of 11,000 miles and per the service manual, one should replace the air filter.
Suzuki packed so much technology into its motorcycles, and it comes at a price for the home wrench turner. You have to remove a few screws, plastic covers and last but not least....the fuel tank has to come off!
It took me quite a bit as I was going slow in order to not damage things. I am sure it'll be faster next time as I did not have to figure some fasteners out due to the manual being a bit terse in terms of instructions.
Here's the toolkit that comes with the motorcycle, not too shabby:
Removing the plastic side covers was pretty straightforward though I found the Givi Crash bars to get in the way of things. Oh well. Of course, I'd just filled up the tank so it was quite heavy but by taking things slow and careful, it all worked out.
You have to remove the fuel quick-disconnect (a bit of a pain until you realize there's two tabs to loosen)
You also have to remove an electrical coupler (lower right of picture)
I also found, loose, the hose from the tank to the couple which mates it to the downtube for gas overflows, fixed that.
Here's Vikki, with the fuel tank removed, and the air box in full view
Eight screws removed, the top is simply pulled off, exposing the old air filter
it was not too dirty but since the manual called for its replacement.....
Here's a top down view of the inside of the air box
Not too dirty but I cleaned it out anyways
You can see the butterfly valves that lead to the top of the throttle bodies
Here's the new filter I bought online from HiflowFilters
It mounted right on and then it was just a matter of screwing the air box cover back on
The rest of the task was just putting things back in reverse order. I found a couple of things that needed fixing which led to my riding over to Oscar's place so he could teach me how to use a tap and die st. The left side cover's mounting screw and mounting hole were stripped slightly and I found I was missing a rubber grommet for the trailing edge of the cover.
Oscar fixed the screw and mounting hole and the grommet is on order from the local motorcycle dealer.
All this burned up the morning though and so not much riding got done today, I hope to do some extended riding tomorrow to get a feel for the new barbacks. Vikki rode great as usual, her throaty growls on acceleration bringing a stupid grin on my face as I rode to and from Oscar's house and the hardware store.
Finally, I leave you with a picture of Long's Peak which is visible from my new employer's office.
Long's Peak from South Glenn Mall, at 12X Zoom