Friday, December 19, 2008

Dead Slow Pace but at least I didn't have to shovel

We got maybe an inch of fresh snow starting yesterday evening. The bitter cold temperatures overnight kept it from melting and we awoke to a snow-covered neighborhood once again.

I cleared the driveway as usual but the small amount of snow we got had me thinking. I bet I could get out to the main roads without having to clear the sidewalks, after clearing them.

I walked out to the main roads and saw that they were clear of snow, just wet from its melting. I geared up once I returned home and decided to take Brigitta, my 1987 R80 Beemer out to get her gas tank filled. In cold weather, one must keep the motorcycle's gas tank as full as possible to prevent water condensation from building up within the tank. Water being heavier than gasoline, collects at the bottom of one's gas tank and starts to rust it I am told.


I made my way back home, again going dead slow once back on the snow covered neighborhood streets. Barely, barely touching my rear brake pedal to start the slowing process when pointed downhill. Lots of using the clutch and coasting to a stop instead of using brakes, specially since I have street tires on Brigitta. (Yeah, knobbies would be better but the only ones I've found that fit her wheels use inner tubes and I am unwilling to switch to that, perhaps some spare wheels are in my future.).

My loving wife, who caters to my insanity most of the time, was in the garage when I returned to my cul-de-sac and I asked her to take pictures of me riding the in snow. Yeah, a bit narcissistic of me, but I wanted proof as well. Yeah, going dead slow and sometimes using my legs as outriggers, but at least I don't have to shovel much in these conditions.

I like how reflective the hi-viz stripes are

Putt-putting my way back into the cul-de-sac

slowly, slowly

You can see the tires I have don't shed snow well

So, a couple of very short rides up and down the neighborhood streets I used to fear when snow-covered. Now? Not so much. Braking is still an issue of course, but if I can go slow and there's no other traffic, getting out when the snow is not deep should not be too much of an issue from now on.


The above is the price I paid for my wife's cooperation in taking my pictures while I slowly moved about on the snow.

4 comments:

Allen Madding said...

Once again, I tip my helmet to you. You are hard core to be riding on that slippery stuff!

-Peace

Unknown said...

That hat looks good on you. Perhaps you can find a way to slip it over your helmet.
Perhaps some gas line antifreeze in your tank will get rid of any condensation that is there already (or wood alcohol). I don't think I am brave enough to venture out on compact snow or ice. The last time I turned the last corner on my way home my bike almost slipped out from under me, but I managed to recover. Not a good feeling

redlegsrides said...

Allen and bobskoot, thanks for your commentary. The snow sure is slippery stuff, even when going dead slow.

Still, if you go slow and still drop the bike, the snow will prevent major damage. I know this cause I've done it. LINK

redlegsrides said...

Bobskoot, one sure way of making sure there's no water in your fuel system is to ride at least 12-15 miles I am told to burn it all off......