Friday, August 14, 2026

Redlegsrides' 20th Anniversary - The Fellowship of Moto-Bloggers

Part 2:

Yesterday, August 13, was the 20th anniversary of this blog.

I want to mention the people I have met through this blog and through riding who have enriched my life and made the journey enjoyable so far.

In no particular order or precedence....

One of the motor bloggers I first found online when starting to ride, especially in all kinds of weather, and not letting weather stop me was Steve Williams who writes the blog scooter in the sticks.

Steve is an astounding writer and rider.  His thoughtful posts about riding his scooter in Winter conditions have garnered quite the large audience and following.  He served as inspiration to ride in cold conditions for me. 

We got together a few times over the years, got some riding in together and I count myself fortunate for those times and his friendship.


Another great blogger and author of several humorous and well written books was Jack Riepe.  I first found out about him through his blog Twisted Roads, his postings were a joy to read and made me laugh out loud many times.  I was also honored to be asked by him to check out his first book: Conversations with a Motorcycle.


Very sadly, we lost Jack back in October of 2023.  I miss him and his twisted sense of humor as he "painted with words".

Also lost to us now, there was Bob Leong who wrote Riding the Wet Coast.  He was one of the most generous riders and moto-blogger that I met in my travels.  We met and rode together several times.  I miss BobSkoot.


In June of 2025, another blogger was lost to us.  Brook Reams and I met through my researching for info/help in fixing my R80: Brigitta.  He was a fount of great information on all things Airhead and motorcycles in general!  His well documented and illustrated information/repairs/restoration of BMW Airheads can be found here:  LINK , maintained by his son Branden.


Another West coast blogger back in the day, he's still around, just not blogging was Irondad.  His blog was mainly about the fine points of motorcycle rider training as he taught for a while for the MSF of Oregon I dimly recall.  Dan was my introduction into the world of Ironbutt riders, something I never managed to get into.  It was he who ensured I got all the formal training I could through the local MSF chapter.

Irondad in white shirt with wife Katy

Speaking of Ironbutt riders, Jan Daub aka CCjon stands tall (literally) among their ranks.  His blog detailing his adventures, achievements and wonderful photography can be reached at:   Riding the Horizon


An avid sidecarist, he has served as president of the US Sidecar Association and in my mind the authority on those comfy yet powerful Honda Goldwings with sidecars .  
As of this date he holds the record for oldest Ironbutt rider for the Prudhie Bay, AK to Key West, FL run.  He's also entered the world of van camping recently.

Another moto-blogger I met initially online was Richard Machida who writes the blog: Richard's Page.


Another rider who didn't let Alaska 's extremely cold temperatures stopping from challenging it with his sidecar rigs, he also inspired me to ride in snowy conditions.  He also hosted me for a couple of long weeks+ during my sojourn in Alaska while my sidecar rig's engine was being repaired.  He and his lovely wife Bridget have remained friends of ours and we get together as often as we can now that we are fellow RV campers.

RichardM, as I refer to him in many, many of my blog postings has always willingly help educate and guide me in the fixing of many things both relating to motorcycles and to my motorhome.  He even rescued me a couple of times while in Alaska when my rig broke down!  I am fortunate to count him as a friend.

Another moto-blogger I met during a trip to a BMW rally in Wisconsin is Doug Cooper.  He writes of his riding on Coop's Corner.  He has quite the herd of motorcycles and thinks nothing of long distance rides to moto gatherings in his neck of the woods.

Here's Coopdway when I rode with him last:


In the small ranks of female bloggers, the first one that comes to mind is SonjaM or Sonja Mager.  She used to write of her motorcycling adventures on Two Wheels Revisited.  However she hung up her riding gear soon after moving to Germany with her husband Roland; they are now happy "parents" of two nice dogs and do van camping and their VW camper, showcasing the lovely scenery around them.   SonjaM has also been quite the hiker for some time now as trains/works on completing the "El Camino" journey.

From her blog:


Then there's Lori Z.  She used to write a blog: For Love of a Motorcycle, though it's no longer active.  Her husband Chris and her lived out of their Overlander rig for a couple of years and we met and traveled together several times.

Baja

They've gone through quite the series of adventures with their rig: Stewie.   However, as with others, they're moving on to different things and directions.

I rode with Bluekat aka Kari Kropf of Bluekat's Journeys just a few times, most notably the trip to Montana was she and her husband Ron met us on their motorcycles to ride with me and BobSkoot.  They're more bicyclists than motorcyclists these days though they too have entered the camping world in their Ram Promaster Van.

8
Ron and Kari aka Bluekat

Another blogger in the northwest, Brad Laurie of Troubadour's Treks, formerly Troubadour on a Tiger.  I met Brad and his lovely wife Brandy aka Trobairitz while on the way to and back from Alaska on Valencia, my 2011 Ural Patrol.  Brad now teaches/works part-time for the MSF Oregon team and they're also fellow RV campers:


Though we've not physically met, Oz of Just an Ordinary Rider writes of his motorcycle rides and provides details of likely ride destinations.  He's proven to be one of more faithful readers, someday we shall meet hopefully.

From his blog:


Another Harley-Davidson rider, Gary France whom I first met back in September of 2010 as he was touring the United States riding his beautifully painted motorcycle, the Leading Ladies.  Great guy, published an awesome book about the journey, wrote a great blog "Flies in my Teeth" and now runs the dream job motorcycle tours in Europe. 


There are others with whom I've lost contact since such contact was visible their blogs which are no low active.  My apologies for missing your inclusion.

So there you go, the above are part of the fellowship of moto bloggers that I have had the privilege to know and read about their adventures in the last 20 years.

My own blog's future direction and focus is definitely changing I believe, I think it's just the natural order of things.

No comments: