Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Mount Lindo Cross

There's a lighted cross on the west side of the Denver Metro Area, near the exit for the town of Morrison on US285. The last time I'd spotted it, I had been riding in the pre-dawn hours headed out of town and trying for New Mexico at the end of 2010.

The image of that huge cross, illuminated on the dark hillside as I rode south on US285 stayed on my mind off and on in the last year and a half and today I rode to capture its image.

Here's some more information about the Mount Lindo Cross from the blog: Cemeteries and Cemetery Symbols:  LINK

I rode out of the neighborhood under a very light rain, riding on Yoshie, my 2006 Suzuki V-Strom Dauntless Sidecar Rig. The rain became heavier as I rode into the city but was never too bad. You'd have thought it was the prelude to the second flood of biblical proportions they way some of the clueless cagers reacted to it though.

A little splash? Hit the brakes. Ride 5-10 miles under the speed limit if your windshield wipers are on and by all means, tap your brakes for no apparently reason. Even had one guy come to an almost complete stop because he realized too late he was on an on-ramp to I-225. Traffic was dodging this stupid idiot as he "waited" for a gap in traffic to get off the on-ramp; truly amazing he wasn't killed.

I made it safely across the city as the rain passed overhead and arrived at the western edge of town with just wet streets to deal with. As I approached the exit of US285 to go to Morrison, I spotted the perfect spot to pose Yoshie at with the cross in the background:

 This is about 15 minutes before sunset, the can you see the cross on the hillside

 Here's the "overall" view of the area, you can just make out the cross
 The sun has now set and you can see the cross much easier 
against the dark hillside

 I rode eastward to the Simms Blvd exit and posed Yoshie on
a sidewalk near the freeway exit

The last shot of the evening that turned out

2 comments:

Jack Riepe said...

Dear Charlie6 (Dom):

I am amazed that you find pleasure is setting out in the rain. That's a bit beyond me, if I have an alternative. But the pictures of the cross are interesting.

I am amazed at some of the religious symbols you can find in the most remote places. I was driving across the country to Vancouver a few years ago, and came across a statue of "Our Lady Of The Rockies," above Butte, Montana. Tha was really impressive too.

Fondest regards,
Jack/reep
Twisted Roads

irondad said...

About the time things are made idiot proof along comes a better idiot! Thinking about those car commercials promising the electronics in the car will make up for the driver's incompetence. Of course, they don't put it so bluntly.

Interesting about the cross. You've sparked a photo project idea.