Better Turn Signal Flasher:
Replaced the stock PC427 Russian Thermal flasher unit with a modern electronic flasher which is more reliable and draws way less amps when in operation. Had to create new connectors, but minor work.
Bought a relay, 12 gauge wire, connectors, a plain switch to wire up the auxiliary lights on either side of the main headlight correctly. The auxiliary lights had come disconnected with Fiona from the previous owner and there were no obvious connections to use for them.
Following a short tutorial on youtube to remind me which connectors on the relay did what, it was then just a matter of wiring things up, taking care to use shrink tubing to secure connections.
screen capture from youtube video: LINK
Second attempt went well enough, though I ended up having to troubleshoot the ground wire for the relay, I used the same ground cable as the one used by the horn, and that didn't work as expected. Once I switched to a different grounding point, it all worked as expected.
Electrical work is something with which I struggle at times. The concepts are simple, it's the actual wiring of connections that trip me up at times.
Here's Fiona with her headlight in high beam mode.
The switch is mounted on one of two pre-existing holes on the headlight bucket cover. I am unsure what the previous owner used the holes for, now one holds the switch for the auxiliary lights.
Can you see me now?
Sadly, even all these lights will fail to prevent the many unwary cagers out there from executing a left turn in front of you! Always assume they don't see you, especially if you're on two wheels. Sidecar rigs are wide enough that most cagers perceive them as a threat since they're nearly as wide as cars; that leaves usually only the a-holes that like to cut in front of traffic to make a turn.
The auxiliary lights ought to come in handy when off road and in dark conditions, not sure I'll be using them on paved roads as they're quite bright.
Scarlett's 35K KM Service Interval Notes:
Today I swapped out her engine oil and filter, transmission oil (which came out clean I am glad to report) after being rebuilt by IMWA's Sergey, and the final drive oil.