Monday, June 03, 2024

Now Boondocking at near the Town of Walden, CO

 Sunday, June 2 

As mentioned in the previous post, I spent the morning working on the configuration of items on the roof of the VRRV.

After a quick lunch, I rode out on Yagi, My TW200, and took Manhattan road AKA Larimer County 69 down towards the small settlement of Rustic, CO. 

It was about 13-14 miles and it will give me access to Colorado Highway 14 which I plan to take westward towards Walden, CO probably tomorrow.

Monday, June 3

I displaced from the Red Feather Lakes area at 10:30 AM in increasingly windy conditions.  The winds would get so bad that a couple of times it threatened to push the VRRV out of its lane as I drove on CO Hwy 14 towards the town of Walden.

Walden, advertises itself as the "Moose Watching Capital of Colorado", we shall see.  I've been in the town before:  LINK1 LINK2 

On the way to this town, one passes by the Nohku Crags and the Seven Ute Mountains near Cameron Pass.


Nohku Crags on the left and the Seven Ute Mtn on the right

I spent a bit of time at the city park in Walden, taking advantage of the provided RV dump and water resupply.  They ask for donations instead of charging you so covered that.

Afterwards, it was a short drive out of town to the Walden Reservoir and my camping spot by the water for the next few days.

I set up camp under very windy conditions.  Temperatures were in the low 60s but with the wind chill it wasn't great to be outside.  So I spent the afternoon cleaning up under the RV's stove top and the heavily carbonized burners.  I'll not publish the pics, suffice to say it was quite disgusting under the stove top.


The overcast skies and winds made for rather dismal lighting conditions in terms of photography.   Hopefully, I'll get better pics of the reservoir tomorrow.


4 comments:

Oz said...

I love that area of CO! Been through there three times. It is pretty, not overly busy and I have seen moose 2 of the 3 times. One evening in we saw two bulls in different locations and then later 2 cows with calves.
Enjoy!

redlegsrides said...

An accurate description of the area Oz! You were quite fortunate to have seen so many mooses...

CCjon said...

Hoping you get to see your moose. Are there swampy areas there to see the moose?
Am thinking where you are parked is too dry and windy for them, but what do I know. We don't have moose in Texas, only long horns.

redlegsrides said...

CCJon, there was plenty of swampy areas alongside that county road I mentioned in the post. However, no moose was sighted.