Thursday, May 14, 2020

Boondocking again at the Penrose BLM Area - Pre-Group-Arrival

I drove out of the Metro Denver Cesspool on Tuesday and less than two hours later I was setting up camp in my favorite spot within the Penrose BLM Area.  Nice and secluded, not along the main "road" traversing the area and good cellular signal.


I set up camp and relaxed in the quiet and solitude.  Enjoyed it so much, I didn't do much of anything else the next day, Wednesday, except work on a wiring issue involving the URRV's rear lights.  The weather was very warm and lows were in the low 40s the first couple of nights.

I woke Wednesday to find the valley areas covered in a dense fog, making it look like the tops of the hills were islands floating on a frothy sea.



 Kind of looks like a fog shrouded bay or body of water eh?



A view of the valley in the afternoon, way after the fog had burned off.

Thursday, I woke to a warm dawn of 48°F (8.8°C) and soon after breakfast I was off riding the area's trails on Yagi, my 2006 Yamaha TW200.  The objective was to refresh my mind on what trails were there, their condition and whether it would be Ural-able with a passenger in the sidecar.

Passenger in the sidecar you ask?  Was Martha joining me?  Nope.

Starting Friday afternoon, I was expecting three neighborhood friends: Bob, Dale and Jim.  They were joining me for a couple of days of camping and I would be giving one of them a ride in the sidecar while one of the other two would ride Yagi.  A guy's camping weekend, so to speak.

What?!  Me mingle with others?  Me, the solitary curmudgeon?  Yep, though it was Martha's idea.  We'll see how it goes.

My wanderings ended up taking all morning and yet covering less than 26 miles.  Slow going on the trails within the BLM area and just slow meandering within the Brush Hollow State Wildlife Area and Reservoir.


I'll be spending the rest of the afternoon, after I publish this post, enjoying the warm but not hot weather and relaxing.  Retirement is hell I tell you, simply, hell.

12 comments:

Diamond Dave said...

Does riding it the sidecar fall within the social distancing guidelines???

redlegsrides said...

I’ll put a mask on the passenger...

RichardM said...

A few more people to push! Time to tackle some of those challenging trails...

SonjaM said...

Now the fog pics are something different, Dom. Loving it.

Diamond Dave said...

More people to search for whatever has fallen off the Ural???

redlegsrides said...

I don’t think so re the challenging trails RichardM, the sketchy portions here would have me swapping out the clutch pack soon!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, I’ll see about not being “the same” all the time.

redlegsrides said...

Well, I’ll admit more eyes help but things falling off a Ural is usually the least of the problems usually presented!

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

I can't imagine how you can maintain this hellish pace!! Go easy sir, no need to burn out!

redlegsrides said...

Hellish? I’m just getting started! :)

Steve Williams said...

First things first -- retirement is hell.;)

When I read your boondocking reports and look at the pictures I'm reminded of how much I miss the wide-open spaces and sweeping vistas that abound in your part of the world. Here in central Pennsylvania, there are vistas but they are rarer with much of the region covered in a dense forest. There's something powerful about standing on a promontory and drinking in the world.

It seems little has changed due to the pandemic for you but that may merely be a result of careful writing and editing. It's much different here though perhaps a result of my own perception. Whatever the truth is -- stay safe!

redlegsrides said...

Thanks for the comments Steve, rest assured all applicable pandemic guidelines are being followed....it seems I’ve been practicing social distancing long before current conditions.