Thursday, April 25, 2019

More Boondocking - Visiting two other SWAs and Yagi proves some what cargo capable.

A pretty good sunrise today:

Today I found myself missing the enormous cargo capacity presented by the sidecar of a Ural rig.

I was low on fresh water and some other foodstuff so it was time to head into the somewhat nearby town of Hugo, CO.

Using a ratchet strap (which didn't really handle the bumps well) and some bungie cords, I got the water and groceries onto Yagi and we made it home with only some water spilled onto my backside when the jug came loose from the ratchet strap.

Yagi did not feel nimble or as agile with all that weight in the back.  We're talking five gallons of water and a full spare can of gas and groceries in the top box.

After work, I rode Yagi over to two nearby State Wildlife Areas or SWAs.  First up was the Karval SWA about 19 miles away to the south and west.  Not a bad little area surrounding a lake but zero cellular coverage.  Camping here would be nice but it'll have to wait until I am free from the bonds of internet access.

There was only one person camping there, a woman in a tent in the main parking area.  She was taking pics also, you can see her below standing on the dam in the pink hoodie.

Karval SWA

Next up was the Lake Kinney SWA located a little bit north of the Hugo SWA.  It must have been "Cows get in free Day" at this SWA as the place was swarming with cattle.  They were blocking the trails and I had to get pretty close to the stubborn ones to make my way past the herd to explore the rest of the area.

Lake Kinney did have signal but it wasn't very good, a booster would probably be required her for internet access.

Again, there was a woman there onsite with me, she was fishing though and not camping, being surrounded by cows didn't seem to bother her.

Alas, half the area is now closed off from the last time I was here with Scarlett, my 2014 Ural Patrol.   So back I went and encountered more cows as I made my way back to the entrance.

Finally, made my way past all the cows as they decided to move off in a herd over to larger pastures away from the lake.  I guess they got tired of watching me and wondering what I was doing there.

Got back to my campsite at Hugo SWA South and relaxed for a bit.  Doing a bit of chores and just enjoying the sun, which felt really nice in spite of the chilly winds that dominated most of the day.  It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow.

Clear skies still resulted in a warm sunset of sorts, given yesterday's sunset though, I didn't spend a lot of time taking pictures of it, just this one:

No comments: