I've got to be more thorough when it comes to examination of my tires on the VRRV.
Last week, I'd noticed an unusual wear pattern on the RV's front tires:
Notice the tire thread portions that are darker? I did too.
So today I took the RV over to the tire alignment shop early to have them look to see if I needed to remove the cargo rack for the motorcycle. Yes, it would have to come off but before it came to that, I asked to look at the strange wear pattern.
The tech said nope, a front end alignment won't fix that.
So at least I was saved the trouble of removing the front rack! I then drove over to my mechanic in Parker and he pronounced the problem as "cupping". The wear I saw happens when the shocks involved are getting weak and not maintaining full contact with the ground for the tires, allowing them to "skip".
Sigh, I got an estimate from the mech and headed home.
Once I got home I went to get better pics of the cupping and discovered this:
I wonder how long that had been there, hence my statement that I have to be more thorough!
Yep, not good and definitely unsafe! A quick call to the nearby Discount Tires and they arranged for six new Michelin 225/75R16 tires for a decent price. Not only that, they were in stock and said to bring the RV over!
I hurriedly removed the TPMS sensors and drove over. Less than 2 hours later, it was done and I was a bit poorer but now safer. I'll have the two front shocks replaced with beefier shocks next week, then Uma should be fully ready again.
New tires were out on at 127,780 Miles, the odometer read 89,900 the last Uma got new tires back in Feb 02, 2023, so I got 37,800 miles out of the Toyo Open Country A/T tires that I got from Discount tires in Tucson, AZ before going to Baja, Mexico later that month!
6000 miles from now, I'll have Discount Tires rotate the 3 yr old spare tire into the mix. That's another thing I had failed to do, regular rotation of the tires, no more! Especially since Discount Tires will do it for free since I bought the tires from them.
So, I got lucky, in having spotted the problem before it became a blowout. Don't be like me, check your tires thoroughly.


No comments:
Post a Comment