Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Texas RV Trip - National Museum of the Pacific War and Scarlett Breaks Down

Today we rode Scarlett over to Fredericksburg, TX, almost 80 miles away, to visit the National Museum of the Pacific War and the Admiral Chester Nimitz museum that are located there.

The ride over was in temperatures in the high 50s, much cooler than yesterday but still quite comfortable with just a fleece liner under our riding jackets.

We got there shortly before Noon to find the historic portion of the city swarming with tourists.  After we got lunch away from the downtown area, we returned to the museum and after some cruising around, found parking for Scarlett.

We found the museum to be very nicely put together but there was just too many people trying to see all the exhibits and such to make it very enjoyable to us.

Some pics from the museum:

 Scale model of a Missouri Class Battleship

 B-25 Bomber on a portion of the flight deck belonging to the Coral Sea

 USS New Mexico

 Japanese Float Plane

 Fat Man Atomic Bomb Replica
My favorite of the covers painted by Norman Rockwell
There was a whole room dedicated to his covers on the
Saturday Evening Post.

We then spent some time walking through the Admiral Nimitz Museum, no pics from the inside but here's a picture Martha took of a statue of the man standing outside:

As we were leaving town, Martha took this picture of the submarine the designers of the museum had cleverly situated so that it looked like it was surfacing from beneath the ground.  Cool.

On the outskirts of Fredericksburg, there's also the Texas Ranger Heritage Center.  We stopped briefly for the below pictures.

The ride home was almost without incident.  About five miles from the RV campground, I started noticing a sporadic new noise coming from the engine area.  As you might imagine, after so many issues with different rigs, I tend to pay attention to new noises.

This one wasn't quite metallic, to me it sounded like a cupping noise or perhaps a rubbing noise.  To Martha, once I asked her if she heard the new noise, it sounded like a strap striking a surface perhaps.  

The noise occurred whether the rig was in gear or in neutral so that eliminated the gearbox.

Nursing the engine, I hoped to make it back to the campground so I could examine things in a safe location.  We were in the middle of heavy city traffic when I first noticed the new noise.

It was not to be however.  The noise got more and more frequent though not in sync with the RPMs of the engine strangely.  That is, until the last few seconds when it suddenly turned into rapid metal clacking noises and the engine stopped.

I pulled in the clutch and we coasted to a stop at the side of the road, several cars behind us had to go into avoidance mode and luckily, no one got hit.  

Martha and I carefully maneuvered the rig down the slight hill we'd stopped on, got Scarlett rolling up another slight hill to a parking lot.

A young fellow in a pickup truck stopped and asked if I needed a ride/help.  I took him up on his offer and he took me the last 1/2 mile or so to the RV Campground's entrance.

I got Uma, the URRV, all packed up in a hurry, disconnected from shore power and city water and headed back to Martha and Scarlett.

I positioned Uma so that the slope of the parking lot's entrance way aided our pushing Scarlett onto the trailer.  We got her onto the trailer with no issues and once she was secured, we made our way back to the campground.

Feeling bummed of course.  But we still went out for a planned dinner outing with a friend of Martha's from her Army Nursing days:

iPhones really suck in low light conditions don't you think?
Here's Anne, on the left, and her family.

Needless to say, the trip is being cut short.  The plan had been for Martha to fly back to Denver on the 2nd of January but now she'll drive back with me back to Denver starting on the 31st of December.

More to follow on Scarlett once I get her back to the Ural dealer in Fort Collins, CO.


Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that Dom. I have had break downs (Sucked a Valve) and one I did at least drop my Ural off in Washington. The final drive I saw coming. So I had an extra and put it on. Failed starter still had the kicker and replaced it when I got one in St. Johns in Newfoundland. Then the ignition switch failed and I hot wired the bike and replace the ignition switch with the wrong wiring diagram in Connecticut. Wore out the spline on my side car and the universals and got that fixed in Florida. Still I was ahead of the bike for the most part. I caught the spline by saying there was some play in the side car tire. Now remember Ursula has 83,000 K on her. I am curious as to what broke. Please let me know. Also I bought another Ural this one a 2010 and I'm going to call her Natasha. She is red. I had thought about the Red Baron but that was a guys name. All the best and Happy New Year.

SonjaM said...

Oh, bummer! Sorry to hear that this will cut short your vacation. Well, on the plus side it happened not far away from your campground and you got a helping hand in form of a young lad giving you a ride. Also, you'll be able to travel together back home. For me that's still kind of a happy ending for 2016. Happy New Year, to you, Martha and the boys.

redlegsrides said...

John F Sharp, I'm starting to wonder about life with Ural sidecars. I ride them within specs, never going above 60 mph and usually no more than 55 mph, do the services, and yet there's issues. I know all things wrought by Man will break eventually but damn. Sounds like you had a few issues of your own during your recent epic trip as well. Scarlett hasn't reached 42k km yet; I'll be taking her to the dealer on the 2d of JAN I think for him to tear her engine apart to see what went wrong.

Congrats on the new-to-you rig, Natasha was the name of my first Ural rig, a '98 Sportsman. That was a learning experience that was....

Thanks for commenting and sharing your rig's issues as well, I'd gotten the impression it had been smooth sailing!

Happy New Year to you and yours.


redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, yes, one must look at the bright side of things during these kinds of times.

I will say these rigs have always broken down in fairly convenient spots, this last one I could have easily walked to the RV campsite to retrieve Uma! Martha is being the supportive trooper she always is and I'll be glad for her company as we make our way back to Colorado.

Frohes neues Jahr to you and Roland and your families!

Learning to Golf said...

Hate to hear this news. Is she still under warrantee?

redlegsrides said...

Yes she is, AZ AD, until March of 2017

RichardM said...

Looking through you labels for "Scarlett Repairs" on the sidebar, there are only 10 posts. That seems to be pretty good compared to "Valencia Repairs" which had 27. This is the first engine internal problem but, as you said, this has been always ridden within specs. After dropping it off at the dealer, were you going to pick up the "spare" and continue travelling.?

redlegsrides said...

RichardM, Scarlett has been pretty good....she did have first model year teething issues but all resolved more or less painlessly. As to picking up the spare and continuing travel, not sure.

redlegsrides said...

John F. Sharp, sorry for the late publishing of your comment.