Sunday, February 04, 2018

Uraling to Nothing, AZ

Superbowl Sunday, and since I'm not a football fan, it was time to check out what there in the curiously named location: Nothing, Arizona.

I'd seen this name on a motorcycle roads map I had found at the dealership where I had them swap the inner tube on my sidecar's tire.  For $15 plus cost of a new inner tube I really couldn't see doing it myself you see.

Such a curious name eh?  Nothing.  More info here on wikipedia:  LINK

I rode out of the Sun City area along Grand Avenue aka US 60.  Note, traffic on this road sucks 24x7 until you get clear of Surprise, AZ.  Just saying.

Took two hours to ride Scarlett, going at 55 MPH as usual and being passed by one clusterf*ck of cagers after another.  I've confirmed that the speed limit, to the folks in Arizona who aren't snow birds, means its the minimum speed to drive their cars.
It had been a while since I saw so many morons passing on double yellow lines....

Still, made it Nothing with minimal fuss and found this:

Nothing, Arizona

It's dirt parking lot is basically a parking/rest area for traffic on US Highway 93 and you can see what structures remain are abandoned.  There is infrastructure for a cell tower just outside the picture frame above by the way.

Nearby, there's an entrance to BLM Land though its not marked that way or for that matter, in any way.  I confirmed it with the allstays app, the area is all BLM.  The "primitive" road is marked as FR 7678 and is pretty good condition for the most part.

I saw several nice and wide areas that would fit my motorhome quite nicely within the two miles or so I rode till I came to a cattle guard.  I turned around at this point as time was short and the afternoon hot.

I liked this BLM area but cell data reception wasn't great even with the nearby presence of a cell tower.  Still, there were interesting looking rock formations near the road and camping sites and views of distant hills and mountains.



Getting back on US93, now heading back towards Phoenix.  I stopped briefly to take a picture of a Joshua Tree.  The road traverses and is known as the Joshua Forest Parkway of Arizona; nice and straight and full of speeding idiots.  

Scarlett and a Joshua Tree

Entering once again into the Surprise, AZ area and US60....traffic became crappy as expected.  As I assume I'm invisible, I spotted this idiot female cager moving into my lane, in spite of me being in the way and blaring the horn on Scarlett.

I dodged around her, pulled up next to her and used some choice words to explain her failure to drive safely.  She gave me a blank and cowlike "what did I do wrong" look....

I turned off soon after, avoiding further crap on Grand Avenue and went to check in on my FIL who remains in ICU at the hospital post-surgery.  Progress is being made but there's still some stuff that needs work.

So, not exactly nothing at Nothing, AZ but close enough.  Still, it's a spot for boondocking to remember for someday when I've cast off the chains of having to have Internet access for work.


5 comments:

RichardM said...

So tell us how you really feel about AZ traffic...

Nice photo of the Joshua tree. Too bad there aren't more ways to stay off the Interstate.

redlegsrides said...

Very few roads and plenty of cagers in a hurry

Trobairitz said...

That traffic does not sound good at all. A shame with such pretty views too. I wonder if Nothing, AZ is anything like Boring, OR.

redlegsrides said...

Seems every state has places with funny names....Hygiene Colorado for example

CCjon said...

If the weather wasn't so durn unbearable so much of the year, Arizona would be a great place to explore on three wheels. Take plenty of water.

Wonder why they are called Joshua Trees? Biblical reference??