I figured the jack was low on fluid as it had been taking a lot more up/down strokes than usual to raise vehicles lately. Also figured there was a blown o-ring or seal somewhere in the system as there was little to no resistance when pumping the handle anymore. Sigh.
I put some motor oil into the system (since I figured the jack was toast) and got enough pressure to lower the rig back onto the ground safely after doing the work I needed to do on Scarlett.
The Maasdam jack did fine, still took a lot of pumps to get things done though. Time for another jack it seemed.
Today I went by Harbor Freight during lunch and picked up another 3 Ton Jack, a beefier one for $6 more than the replacement cost of a Maasdam floor jack. Why? Because it was local and it was low profile so I can use in on #2 son's car, an Acura Integra which sits pretty low to the ground.
I rode Fiona to Harbor Freight, to rack up a few more "break in" miles for the gearbox. I did draw some stares from the other customers there, pushing along a cart with the new jack in its shipping box, in riding gear and a helmet in the shopping cart. :)
The new floor jack is a Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Hydraulic Floor Jack: LINK
For $99 and the low profile gain, it seemed the best choice for me. The box weighed over 76 lbs so it was a slight struggle for me to load it into Fiona's sidecar but I managed. I'm experiencing a rather painful episode of plantar faciitis on my left heel, which causes me to limp when walking.
The new floor jack, after I used it to easily put Fiona onto the
car ramps, just as a test of the jack.
The Maasdam Pow'rLift that's retired now. I think it's usable but
since I've got the new one....I'll keep it as a last resort item.
The new floor jack is HEAVY. Max lifting height is 19.75", 1.25" less than the Maasdam Jack but enough for what I need it to do. I supposed I can get some lifting blocks to add a couple of inches, or use suitable blocks of wood in a pinch.
There's a metal spring, under tension, holding down the portion of the jack that the pump handle inserts into. Be very careful removing the spring, the handle portion will snap up to a vertical position once you remove the spring, and it hurts if it hits your wrist. DAMHIK.
Otherwise, assembly is pretty straightforward, assemble the pump handle, remove shipping spring, insert assembled handle into socket after loosening set screw and re-tightened set screw. Done!
The whole thing maneuvers around the garage pretty easily and the handle moves to the vertical position for storage. You turn the handle to loosen'/tighten the mechanism which locks/unlocks the pump for lifting operations, easy and rather a nice feature. Before, I had to remove the handle from the Maasdam, tighten/loosen a set screw with the handle and then replace the handle for pumping action.